Automatic transmission problems. Please help. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Automatic transmission problems. Please help.

I bought my 99 f250 about 2 years ago. When I bought it, it was shifting messed up. It will take off in 1st gear, and not shift to 2nd gear, about 70 percent of the time, unless I lift my foot off the throttle,it will go into 2nd, then it would go into 3rd, then skip 4th and go into overdrive. If I accelerate, more then half throttle, before it goes into overdrive, it will go into 4th for abouut 2 seconds, then shift to overdrive quickly. I ran a scanner and it gave me a code for the shift solenoid. I put a brand new solenoid in the tranny, and it still did the same thing. I ended up getting the transmission rebuit with a new torque converter, new filterand new fluid about 15 months ago and it still had the same problem. Ive been driving it like this for awhile know. Now here is the weird part. I was driving the truck most of the day today, and about the last hour of my driving, I decided to turn off the overdrive. It still shifted the same way for 10 minutes, and then I took off from a dead stop, and it went through the gears perfect. Better then ever. It ended up shifting perfect every time until I got home. 10 minutes into it shifting perfect, I noticed the overdrive light flashing. When I got home I hooked up the scanner, and it gave me codes, p0781 and p0732. It told me what the codes are, but what is making it have this problem. Please help ASAP. 2 years of this is enough. Thanks for the help.
Sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Someone please help. I was thinking it might be the valve body. Tell me what you guys think.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The day after it started shifting right, I cleared the codes, and put my custom tune back on, and it went back to shifting messed up, and no more codes.

Last edited by radracing; 11-06-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: missed something
Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Who's tunes?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

have you tried driving it with out the "custom tune" on that may be the problem some of these plug and play tuners are NOT plug and play at all
Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't know who's tune it is. It was on there when I bought it.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have drove it with out the custom tune. It does the same thing. It only worked good that one time, when I turned the overdrive off, with the custom tune off.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok so before you hooked the custom tuner up to your truck {before you bought the tuner} it had this issue? and where did you buy this tuner from? what kind is it specific make and modle if you know it if not then just the make
Old 11-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

also when you replace/ rebuilt your trans did you bya nny chance check the oss sensor located at the to rear of the transmission to see if it was damaged in any way maybe from the prior owner or wear and tear over time. there are may things that can cause codes to be set. low voltage at the alt. may set a code but first things first set your tuner back to the stock setting on it, then unplug it drive it around let the ocu realize that there is no turner, in this process check the oss agian on the top rear of the trans, if it continues you may end up having to replace the trans sorry but youve replaced it once on a rebuild might be time for a new one.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When I bought the truck, it allready had the tuner. IT wasnt shifting that bad when I got the truck, but it gradually got worse. It has a SCT SF3 tuner. I didnt check the os sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.