Delay when shifting tranny to reverse then slipping bad - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Delay when shifting tranny to reverse then slipping bad

Old purple just started another new issue!
I noticed a couple days ago that it seemed like there was a slight delay when I shifted into reverse before the tranny would “catch”. Then yesterday I noticed that it felt like she was slipping pretty bad while backing up. The transmission is a 4R100 Ford Factory reman with a BTS valve body, it has about 70,000 miles on it and is 4 years old (just out of warranty), the fluid and filter has around 50K on it which is where I usually change it. The temps have been staying very low as usual, even when towing on hot days with the AC wide open she stays below 150*, running empty and hard she stays well below 150* test port temp and my cooler hot line probe usually runs around 100-180 depending on conditions at the moment.

So what would cause a tranny to act fine forward but delay and slip in reverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 04:06 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

How do second and third gear feel when you're moving forward?

I bet it's just the reverse solenoid.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

All forward gears feel normal, shifts clean with no slipping even at full power with chip on high. Reverse slips real bad and kinda jerks. I stopped driving it until I can get it figured out and fixed.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

I can't remember if it's second or third, maybe it's both, that share clutches with reverse...

Any way it goes, all shifts have their own solenoids on the solenoid body, and when the solenoid starts to go, it'll only affect that shift/gear it shifted into. VS when a clutch/gear material goes, it affects everything around it.

For instance, when that ATS trans I had started slipping the 2-3 shift, the way we knew it was a solenoid, was simply by puttin it in reverse and standing on it... It blew the tires off when I did that, so nothing was wrong with that clutch/gear.

Replaced the solenoid body, and the problem went away.

I think you can replace just the one reverse solenoid instead of the whole pack though FYI. ATS gave me the entire body though, so it was just and in/out deal.

EDITED FOR ACCURACY...

Last edited by chvyrkr; 08-06-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Well I called the tranny shop today and he told me that my tranny was shot and needed a complete rebuild. I asked him why he thinks this and he says that there is a huge amount of crap in my pan and the clutch linings were therefore worn out. I asked about the fact that all the forward gears work fine with no slipping and my temp gauges both show that the tranny stays exceptionally cool at all times. He says the thrash in the pan says its toast and I'd be lucky to make it another couple hundred miles before the forward gears go out.
So I drive up there to figure out what to do next, I go in the shop and look in the pan, I then go find him to ask where he put all the debris from the pan (because it looked so clean and normal to me), he walks up and wipes his finger in the bottom of the pan and shows me the black stuff and says “see how bad it is, its shot, gonna need a complete rebuild”.
Now I have changed fluid and filter in probably 2 dozen trannys in my time and everyone of them I can remember had furry looking metal shavings on the magnet and a light coat of black in the very bottom of the sump. This thing had a good amount of fur on the magnet and the entire pan was clean and shiny except for about a 4” patch in the very bottom that had a layer of black about the thickness of a sheet of paper. Also remember that the temp gauge always stays around 100 empty and up to 150 on a very hot day towing hard and heavy and all forward gears shift clean, this reverse slipping issue was sudden and recent.

I told the guy to put a new solenoid pack in it and a new filter and fluid. He said he should have it ready Tuesday.

So, A; Does this guy not know what hes talking about even though he owns a very busy and long time in business tranny shop, or B; am I an idiot and have no idea what I'm talking about, or C; is he trying to play me?
What do yall think?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

How many miles you have on that trans now?

I think you'll be fine with a new solenoid pack.

As I said, reverse shares clutches with forward gears, so if the clutch was gone you'd notice while moving forward as well.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

How many diesel transmissions does this guy work on, btw?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Shes got about 70,000 on the new tranny, I changed fluid and installed a BTS valve body at 20K.
This place is a fair sized transmission shop, there are always a pile of cars and trucks surrounding it. He owns a truck with the allison and claims to have done many Ford 4R100 performance builds. He says I can go talk to a guy down the street that owns a septic tank business and has a lifted and modded truck just like mine. He says that guy works his trucks very hard and has not broke one of his tranny jobs yet.
He also claims that he can build my tranny in either truck to hold the power and last for under $2,400 out the door.
He says the tranny shifting hard in my white truck might be due to a broken spring in the valve body or one of the holes drilled out too big in the valve body plate. I am considering letting him check that out when I get my purple truck back but I am leary about him after the thrash in the tranny pan means the whole tranny is shot thing.
Problem is it seems that I do not know anywhere I can trust to take my truck to have it fixed properly without being either cheated or having incompetent people mess with it. It will be a couple years before I get my new shop built and get moved in and start doing everything DIY again.
Stupid purple truck can't ever make it a few months without needing something major!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Well, I think you'll be fine with a new solenoid pack.

I dunno if anybody, besides maybe a DIY'er, is drilling the VB plates for added line pressure. From what I understand we can get just about every bit of line pressure we need through programming and spring manipulation.

It could very well be that you have a broken or improperly installed spring in the white truck though. I'm still really curious about how much a set of traction bars would help on either truck, since they're both running more tire and more power than the springs were set up to handle.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Traction bars would be a great addition but I'm positive thats not whats going on with them, the shift is just too sudden and violent to be anything but a tranny or converter issue in my opinion. Even when towing the gooseneck in tow mode it shifts so hard it feels like the truck is going to turn inside out. The turbo makes an awful noise when it shifts hard too, can't be good for anything and I'm sure thats why the rear end gears sheared off old purple a couple years ago and I wonder if it had anything to do with my block cracking in half. However Johnathan was able to finally tune the bad shifting out of purple after about 10 tries, he is now and the 3rd try with whitey and no luck so far. It seems strange to me that purples chip acts bad in whitey and visey versy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.