Strange shifting issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange shifting issues

Hoping I can diagnose this without taking it to a shop. Its a 2001 with rebuilt 4R100 that has around 80-100k on it. Truck ran fine one evening, then the next morning it started shifting strangely. It feels like it surges a bit on upshifts for starters. It wont drop out of 4th until 25, which makes the motor bog badly around 30 trying to accelerate back up without flooring it. Under harder acceleration it shifts at strange points, usually earlier than it should. Checked the fluid and it looks / smells fine, and is at proper operating temp level. Checked all the connections on the trans itself and didn't notice anything loose or unplugged. Any ideas? TC going out? Its just strange it was more or less an overnight thing. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

Dr. Evil I'm no tranny expert by any means but I would take it in and have them scan it and tell them to focus on the solenoid pack in the trans. I'm having the same problem and i just replaced mine. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the input! I will get it scanned and see what comes up. Hopefully it isn't too involved to repair.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

If that is what it is, it's not too bad. You have to drain and drop the tranny pan. The solenoid pack is at the back passanger side of the pan area. There are, I think 6 to 8 torx screws (#27) and 2 - 10mm nuts. There is a wire harness that connects thru on top that needs to come loose as well. Take the old one out, there is an o-ring on the solenoid that you will need to re-use if the new one does not come with it. Install the new one and the torque specs are 100 in. lb. Bolt the pan back on and fill the tranny back up, somewhere between 8 and 12 quarts, at least that is what i lost during the process. The worst thing about this is that you will probably find out what transmission fluid tastes like...lol. Hope this helps. P.S. on a scale of 1 to 10, I would say about 4 as far as dificulty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.