Torque Converter Lock Up Not Working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torque Converter Lock Up Not Working

Hey All,

I have a 2000 7.3 with 4r100.

As the title says, my TCC is not working. I recently got an AE scanner - I have the following trouble codes for the switch test:

1536 - Parking brake applied fail
0220 - Throttle switch B circuit malfunction
1780 - TCS circuit of out self-test range
0571 - Brake switch A circuit malfunction
0703 - Brake switch B circuit malfunction
0565 - Cruise "On" signal malfunction
0566 - Cruise "Off" signal malfunction
0567 - Cruise "Resume" signal malfunction
0568 - Cruise "Set" signal malfunction
0569 - Cruise "Coast" signal malfunction

I also had a couple DTCs set in the PCM's memory and in the KOEO test relating to the EBP sensor failing (0470 and 0478 I believe).

I recently replaced the brake pedal switch (it is working according to the live AE monitor) and cruise control seemed to work okay the last time I used it (but I don't use it much).

Monitoring the sensors as I drive, the PCM was sending the lock signal to the trans (up to 100% PWM).

It appears to me that the TCC solenoid is not doing its job, but I'm not sure and don't really want to spend the time and $$ replacing a part that wasn't needed.

I'd like to get this fixed before Friday so I can tow my trail rig about 200 miles and not burn up lots of extra fuel unnecessarily.

Anyone have any input?

A little more info:

The TCC was not working when i bought the truck a few months ago.

The cab brake light was out, but I changed it a week ago - didn't help the problem.

The trans is supposedly "built", but I don't know the details of the build (it definitely has an aftermarket valve body - it shifts nice and firm).

I wired up a manual TCC lockup switch - trans doesn't respond.

Please let me know if more information would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you have the manual tc switch wired correctly, then youhave a defective converter, stuck tcc apply valve, cut tcc o ring, or bad tc solenoid, and no it can not be changed by itself, it's part of the solenoid assy.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is just grounding the violet/yellow wire (can't remember which pin) coming from the transmission pigtail - so I assume it is correct...
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I took it to a tranny shop this morning, they pulled codes, took it for a drive, and said it was locking just fine. I argued that it is not locking, but they said it was doing what it is supposed to do...

Am I missing something? When I run it up above 45-55 mph shouldn't I feel it lock (RPMs drop, maybe a slight acceleration)? And when it does lock, I shouldn't be able to push the throttle slightly with the motor increasing by 200-300 rpm (without relative acceleration), right?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What you're describeing does sound like it is slipping. On the scanners,(Snap On, Mentor, Genisys etc) there is a PID for tcc slip. Snap on calls it "tccmact".
That PID will show how much , in rpm's, the trans or tc is slipping. Should be less that 15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.