Losing Park - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 04:51 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Losing Park

I'm having some trouble with Park - some teeth are missing, so it will sometimes roll a bit before it finds one that stops it.

Is that something that can be repaired, or is there no practical choice other than a replacement transmission?

Assuming it's something that can be repaired, is there anything else that reasonably should be done while it's open?

It's a 4x4 with electronic transfer case, if that has any impact on the choices...

I do a good bit of towing, but it's a work vehicle and I can't dump too much money on it.

And does anyone know why Park is actually internal to the transmission, not a giant cog right on the tailshaft, where it can be serviced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Are you sure you have "missing teeth" or does it maybe just sound like that? Plus, you gotta think those "teeth" rattling around in there are cause for concern

Ford linkage (since like the 50's) is notorious for being sloppy. I can't imagine why, in all these Years, they haven't done something about it!

So, I would first have a good look at the linkage in the steering column. At the bottom of the shift tube, look up from the brake pedal area, above the steering shaft, there is a bracket that connects the shift cable & that tube. Maybe 4" long and fastened with 2 torx screws to the tube. They are often loose.

Next would be the shift tube bushings. these are Much more complicated to fix but, worth doing if it's all that wrong. I hope you don't have internal problems. THEY are going to require the trans come out but, if there are really pieces in there you want to do That!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:36 AM

It catches and then pops forward a bit, then catches again. Repeat until it finds a spot it likes. Sometimes it goes right in, if it hits a good spot.

I just had to jump in as it was rolling away, this morning, and slam on the brake...

I'm assuming that the linkage would be an all or nothing deal?

But I'll check and see if anything's loose. As you noted, that would be much easier... (of course, it has 175k on the transmission, and has been regularly used for towing by both myself and the previous owner, so the transmission will be due for replacement at some point)
Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Emergency brake work?
Old 06-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The internal linkage could be cracked. Hard to explain, but you wan't be able to see it untill it is removed. It is just a pan drop. 4wd or 2wd.?? There are 2 torx bolts on the back of the trans that hold the park mechanisim, if they are loose, (never seen it) the pin will not push the pawl all the way into the " teeth". Not too bad if it is 2wd, no fun if it is 4wd.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3HeavyHauler View Post
Emergency brake work?
Not any more - the backing plates disintegrated. So, that's getting repaired, first priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipz2222 View Post
The internal linkage could be cracked. Hard to explain, but you wan't be able to see it untill it is removed. It is just a pan drop. 4wd or 2wd.?? There are 2 torx bolts on the back of the trans that hold the park mechanisim, if they are loose, (never seen it) the pin will not push the pawl all the way into the " teeth". Not too bad if it is 2wd, no fun if it is 4wd.
Thanks. I'll check that out. It's a 4wd, so yeah, not too much fun.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Are you sure you have "missing teeth" or does it maybe just sound like that? Plus, you gotta think those "teeth" rattling around in there are cause for concern

Ford linkage (since like the 50's) is notorious for being sloppy. I can't imagine why, in all these Years, they haven't done something about it!

So, I would first have a good look at the linkage in the steering column. At the bottom of the shift tube, look up from the brake pedal area, above the steering shaft, there is a bracket that connects the shift cable & that tube. Maybe 4" long and fastened with 2 torx screws to the tube. They are often loose.
Check into this..mine did the same at times..sometimes i'd have to hold the column up hard left to get it to start..and at times it acted like the trans would kind of slip into drive and at times wouldn't untill i revved it up a lil...

Long story short after a bunch of tinkering and already planning for a new trans..i crawled under the dash and checked this..BINGO...it was my problem,took the 2 bolts out 1 at a time and put a lil blue loctite on them and tightened up,3 days later now no more problems what so ever..

may not be your problem..but worth a try and its a free fix if it is............
Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Check into this..mine did the same at times..sometimes i'd have to hold the column up hard left to get it to start..and at times it acted like the trans would kind of slip into drive and at times wouldn't untill i revved it up a lil...

Long story short after a bunch of tinkering and already planning for a new trans..i crawled under the dash and checked this..BINGO...it was my problem,took the 2 bolts out 1 at a time and put a lil blue loctite on them and tightened up,3 days later now no more problems what so ever..

may not be your problem..but worth a try and its a free fix if it is............
I'll second this, I had the problem the OP described for quite some time, got under the column and tightened it up a year or so ago, and solved the problem. It just resurfaced the other day, to the point where it wouldn't go into any gear. at that point i tightened up the one screw that was there, and realized the second one was missing. After replacing it, it feels brand new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.