No 2nd gear need a good shop - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No 2nd gear need a good shop

I have a 2001 7.3 that has only 86000 miles on it, 2nd gear just went out. Is there any upgrades that can be done to these to make them hold up? Anyone know of a reputable builder in the Houston area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would like to know also cause im debatin wether to rebuild it or buying a new one from ford which I can get for two grand
Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
I'm not sure about the Houston area, but if you want a transmission thst is gonna hold up, and is stronger than stock contact a company like twisted diesel in virginia or brians truck shop in Arkansas. My transmission from twisted diesel was $3900 shipped but it's good up to around 600hp, BTS will run you around $5k shipped but he has pretty much the best warranty in the business and there's not much you could do to break it.. If you just want something close to stock any decent transmission shop in your area could install a heavy duty TQ converter, a nice valve body from BTS which goes for around$250 and a transgo tugger shift kit that should get you by and be better than stock
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepassbird View Post
I would like to know also cause im debatin wether to rebuild it or buying a new one from ford which I can get for two grand
Not sure what was wrong but hopefully will know soon. I wished I could have gotten one for that price from Ford, I would have went that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdown89 View Post
I'm not sure about the Houston area, but if you want a transmission thst is gonna hold up, and is stronger than stock contact a company like twisted diesel in virginia or brians truck shop in Arkansas. My transmission from twisted diesel was $3900 shipped but it's good up to around 600hp, BTS will run you around $5k shipped but he has pretty much the best warranty in the business and there's not much you could do to break it.. If you just want something close to stock any decent transmission shop in your area could install a heavy duty TQ converter, a nice valve body from BTS which goes for around$250 and a transgo tugger shift kit that should get you by and be better than stock
If I have anymore issues I may have to look into this. My truck is mostly stock soon to be a chip, gauges and cold air intake.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Guns & Powerstroke's

Lost my second gear Saturday as well. No warnings nothing just stopped at a stop sign was accelerating and wouldn't come out of first let off pedal will drop to third and will then go. Mines at tranny shop now dropped off a few hours ago, waiting on call to hear the damage. Depending on issue I am probably going bts.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:52 AM

Found out yesterday that some support thing and intermediate sprag was broke maybe due to a snap ring popping off. I was sitting in traffic and just easing foward. My truck has 86k miles and I only owned it for 2 days. They are building it with a better converter and clutches then as soon as it gets back I'm going with a 6.0 Cooler.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:53 AM

Oh yeah I am paying extra for a 3 year warrantee so hopefully they don't take any shortcuts...
Old 05-23-2012, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what transmission shop are you going with 69x22 and if possible what was the ball park price for the rebuild with the warranty
Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 AM

It's a repair shop in Pearland, I forget the name but the # is 713-668-9130 the guys name is Bob. $2450 for the 2 year and 2950 for the 3 year. The way I look at it is they can't afford to take any shortcuts with a warrantee like that and it includes a couple of upgrades.
A friend that owns a repair shop has been using this guy for years and only had one issue and the guy stood behind it. He has also done 2 different 700rs in the past for me.
I was hoping to find someone who specialized in these for the powerstrokes but ended up going with him.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69x22 View Post
I have a 2001 7.3 that has only 86000 miles on it, 2nd gear just went out. Is there any upgrades that can be done to these to make them hold up? Anyone know of a reputable builder in the Houston area?
I have 2 stock trans laying around, and i know a guy who can re-build yours for a fair price. I am located about an hour north of houston, in college station. PM me if you need anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.