7.3 PS w/5 spd manual, kicking out of gear? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 7.3 PS w/5 spd manual, kicking out of gear?

New to the forum! Thanks for being here, guys.

Looking for some truth or someone to call BS on an issue I don't believe exists. Boss drove my work rig towing a gooseneck car hauler about 350 miles round trip over two days. Insists the tranny is jumping out of 4th gear (4 times in a 100 mile stretch) frequently and is trying to force me into having the tranny rebuilt.

Side story: Instead of taking our rigs for service to a location with ASE Cert mechs on duty, he towed it an additional 75 miles to a mechanic in his hometown. No evidence one way or another if he is ASE cert mech. Boss states his mech told him these OD trannys fail all the time and it needs rebuilt.

My side: the rig only has 112K miles on it, routine maintenance is up to par, runs exceptionally well (my first diesel, love it), and has incredible torque for towing. Last fall I towed a 26K pound tractor on a 28' beavertail trailer several times on the same route and didn't have any problems at all. He is the only one who has experienced this dropping out of gear (supposedly).

One of my crew told me this afternoon that he had heard that the tranny has a solenoid that kicks it out of gear when the rpms are too high. Boss has stated that he does not put it into OD/5th unless on the freeway. Could this be the culprit. Is he blowing smoke up our a*^es just to give some more business to his local mech? I've done my own wrenching all my life and this isn't passing my BS meter! What say you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

kicking out of gear?

Anyone willing to offer advice??
Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

A manual transmission with a solenoid that drops it out of OD under load? Now that's a new one....

Maybe if it was an automatic.

Did you drive it yourself and see if it jumps out of gear?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Driven it myself

Yes, I have driven the truck extensively in the past 9 mos. My crew drives it just about every day as well. The tranny kicking out of gear hasn't happened to anyone except the boss man.

Had another conversation with him on Friday about the issue. He is desperate to get it to his mech. as he feels it is a safety issue, even though he has stated that he did not have any problems getting it back into gear when it pops out. Made me a bit more suspicious when he mentioned that the tranny is known to slip as the miles accumulate. Makes me wonder if he has discussed this 'slipping' with his mech and the mech thinks this is an automatic, not a manual tranny.

I'm aware that some people have had trouble with their 4R100 trannys after the mileage gets up there. Most of the resolutions I've heard of consist primarily of replacing the tranny filter and ATF so the fluid is no longer restricted. Could he have confused his mech by saying the tranny was 'slipping' vs popping out of gear (as he described to me)?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2003 7.3 with the zf 6 and mine pops out of fourth when I'm towing. I have a 16.5k gooseneck toyhauler and it started doin it when pulling a big hill. It has gotten progressively worse. I have been told that my syncros are shot. I have tried to hold it in gear but it still pops out and only when under heavy load like when towing.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:56 PM

Popping out of gear (any gear)

Forks are going out in the trany...issue will get worse, until you lose that gear totally (4th in your case.) completely....I had one that did this in 3rd got worse until I lost it completely....I Drove the truck another 8 months (I just shifted from 2nd to 4th, totally bypassing 3rd gear) Pretty common on heavy haulers or heavy FOOTERS...Sorry to say your looking at a trany drop & tear-into to correct this issue.....

Last edited by don't ram it, stroke it; 10-19-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My 2010 Mack at work does this, but that's apples to oranges!

Regardless, I still wouldn't take it where my boss wants it taken to. I'd take it to someone else.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Synchros going out would make it grind changing gears.
The ZF is bad to wear shift forks, but having two of them never been a problem. Just make sure and **** positively and don't ride with hand on shifter. Letting someone rebuild it who doesn't know what they're doing or uses cheap parts and you will regret it,I did. Took it in and out 6 times in six months.
Change the fluid and use a good synthetic fluid like trans-synd and when it need's replacing go to the dealer and get a reman unit(done by ZF) for around 3,000.00 or jasper sells the ZF remam one to. You should get over 300,000 out one if you get rid of the POS pilot bearing setup and replace with a roller bearing.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 PM

Mcgoo...i'm in the market for a zf, you got a price on that JASPER one. I cant find the amount anywhere. thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Mcgoo...i'm in the market for a zf, you got a price on that JASPER one. I cant find the amount anywhere. thanks.
In B'ham ford dealer was cheaper 3000.00 w/ 3 year warranty buy the one for 2001 and up it's a little heavier built. If you take it out replace clucth too. with a Luk 07-155 and have flywheel setup for roller bearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.