Auto Trying to Upshift too early.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auto Trying to Upshift too early..

A couple of weeks ago my truck started to shift funny. At about 2000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear, it tries to upshift to the next gear but downshifts back to the original gear right away. Nothing seems to be slipping, no other issues. A friend mentioned that there is a speed sensor in the rear end that could be causing it? Any ideas where to start? Trans never get's hot, fluid looks good but is due for a change and planning to change filter as well.

Appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Powered by Coors Light

I am curious as well. Mine upshifts too soon too. When I stab the skinny pedal it actually goes up instead of down and then comes back......??????? If I roll into it nice and slow and pretend there is an egg between my foot and the pedal (like my grandma taught me) it does fine????????
Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

Hey guys, i have the same issue. I've been looking around here and I found some info on this problem. A couple of threads said it could be the shift lever (column shifter). It seems the wiring can get freyed and cause this type of issue. I am going to pull the cover and see what i find. I will let you guys know what I find.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I changed the trans fluid and filter. Also cleaned off the vss in the rear end. Seems a lot better. If I turn off OD it does not do it at all. My OD light does flash if I wiggle the lever so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

The good news is that the trans fluid looked and smelled normal. I'll be towing the boat soon so we'll see what that does too.

Peter
Old 04-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Powered by Coors Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley1110 View Post
Hey guys, i have the same issue. I've been looking around here and I found some info on this problem. A couple of threads said it could be the shift lever (column shifter). It seems the wiring can get freyed and cause this type of issue. I am going to pull the cover and see what i find. I will let you guys know what I find.
Find anything?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

Had to take care of some things today for my daughter. Going to do this tomorrow. I will post asap after i'm done. Sorry for the delay
Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

Alradco, i also read on here it can have to do with the shift lever too. take your column cover off and look at the wires coming off of the lever itself. If the wires are freyed that can cause a similar issue from what I've read.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've noticed mine does the thing you mentioned where you get on it and it almost seems like it upshifts. I don't seem to have any slipping issues and I'm also running a PHP phoenix chip. I'm not an expert by any means either but I wonder if that is the converter locking up possibly?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

Easyrhino i did check my column and everything was good. I did take some of the electronics cleaner and clean all of the connections in there just to be on the safe side. Like i said earlier i am going to flush the trans cooler lines tomorrow, i found on another thread that that is a potential problem as well. Brian from BTS had made this suggestion to another guy and it seemed to work great for him, so hopefully thats the same problem we all seem to be facing as well.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

OK I think i have a possible solution. I spoke to Brian at BTS, which BTW knows his stuff. I told him what was going on, his first response was to tell me to check the alternator. Disconnect the wire in the back and disconnect the harness, tape them out of the way, then drive the vehicle, if it is the alt. the problem should clear up when you discconnect it. The problem being the alternator is surging or not getting enough AC power to the computer or the sensors, in turn it will cause erratic shifting from the tranny. After all this has been done you just need to replace the alternator. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.