Time for new clutch...few questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 07:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time for new clutch...few questions

Howdy,

For about the past month my tranny has been getting progressively "notchier" between shifts and acts like I'm short stroking the clutch (to the point that I've gotten out at a stoplight twice now to make sure the floor mat isn't bunch up between the pedal and the firewall).

Got my thinking maybe the clutch was reaching the end of its life, then last night I downshifted to 4th to pass a slow moving vehicle and when I laid into the throttle, the motor wound right on up without the truck following it...

Now I know its time for a clutch.

Few questions:
Is the first issue I've described likely caused by a worn clutch?

Recommendations on a clutch for me? I have 35" tires, tow 5k-8k lbs regularly but typically no more than that (not to say the future won't hold heavier loads, but for now my tractor and my boat are each in the 8k range). I commute in a fair amount of tunnel traffic (which might have been the death knell of this clutch: late last week there were back to back accidents that had me on and off the clutch moving about 1/10 of a mile per hour for over an hour.

Anything special necessary for changing it? I've changed a few clutches in my day, but the transmission jack in the case of the last few clutches has been my chest while I roll on a creeper...I don't see that working for this tranny.

How much life should I expect from a new clutch (roughly)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

South Bend Clutch Catalog - Ford Clutch Kits
Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Bend Clutch View Post
Thanks for the link. Have any specific insight to add to my questions above?

Anyone else?

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: Quit Iraq, got a house in Tooele, Ut, Back in a big wrecker playing in traffic!
I did mine a couple years ago, it's a big, LOOOONG heavy sucker!
Make sure you get a new, upgraded clutch arm, ford had problems with them bending, that turned out to be my problem. I decided to do the clutch anyhow, didn't feel like pulling it apart again until I had to.

I also put on the short throw shift tower, I like it. it is a bit stiff to get into low/reverse when it's cold, but it really is nice to drive after it's warmed up.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks ColoTow...I think the clutch arm thing was only a 99-00 problem (or some such early on year range).

Pretty slim on clutch info on this forum huh?

Now I'm mostly curious about the differences between the stock power Southbend and the Con O. Also, the merits of Valair vs Southbend (perhaps an unbiased answer to that would be good)...and perhaps answers to whether my notchy tranny can be explained by a worn clutch.

Also, could contamination (oil leak) be to blame and is there any saving the clutch after fixing the leak?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: Quit Iraq, got a house in Tooele, Ut, Back in a big wrecker playing in traffic!
I got the southbend dual friction, it's good and bad. not going to replace it until it's worn out, but not sure I'd get another either. good- no slip, rated at (I think) 600HP, 1000 lbs torque at the flywheel. I'll never have near that. definitely no slipping. It's got poly "bumpers" (for lack of a better word) and only 2 springs, supposed to cure the Ford problems with the springs breaking due to vibration.
bad- it's a rattly sucker, until you're over 1100 rpm or so, I knew about that before I ordered it, it can be annoying when driving slow. It is a bit harsh to take off, loaded or uphill, because it doesn't slip much. I have 22.5's now, I have to use the granny low unless I'm facing down hill. I pull a trailer once in a while, I have alot of faith in the clutch lasting.

my recommendation would depend on what you do with your truck. working it, pulling a trailer, it's great. for around town, empty/light daily driving, I would think about either a different southbend, or a different brand altogether, especially if your wife drives it. it does have a nice, light pedal, so easy on the legs to drive it.

I drive a KW heavy wrecker for work, and my wife seldom drives my truck, so the heavier duty one I got works for me.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've had a similar problem with my truck salt, It was starting to get harder to get into the low gears, primarily Reverse and downshifting in 2nd and re-engaging at 1st at a red light to say. I figured it was time for a new clutch seeing how typically its a pressure plate problem. after buying the south bend clutch, a buddy advised i tried bleeding the system first just to see what happens, turns out i had a little air in my system and there was a small pin-hole in my hyd line. i replaced the line, re-bled and pressurized the system and it works great. I currently have the clutch still sitting behind the back seat in my truck, just incase. But thats not you're case, and asfar as clutch life "milage" it really depends on how you drive it. you shouldn't have a problem putting one in and driving fine on it for 5+ years, unless you have one hell of a commute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.