4r100 won't shift into second unless you lift off throttle. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
4r100 won't shift into second unless you lift off throttle.

I never had a problem with my tranny except hard shifts. Then j traveled across the country with a 4000 pound trailer. Then 2 days later sitting at a stop light, light turns green, I accelerate and it just keeps revving and didn't shift. I let off the throttle then it shifted. It does this just about every 1-2 shift now. Also occasionally when in 3rd or I'd it acts like it is in neutral and just free revs. I lift off the skinny pedal and it's fine. Trans fluid is good, and doesn't smell burned. What is going on? Btw this is a jasper remanufactured "high performance" rebuild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's what mine is doing in 3rd and od. My fluid is bright red in color no bunt smell either. I was wondering if it could be the torque converter? Hope somone can help us with this!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 PM
live for the now

Hoping it isn't time for a full rebuild..
Old 02-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my truck is doin a carbon copy of what you described ,i dont know much about trans.but ive been told it could be the shift solenoids ?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:11 PM
live for the now

I contacted Powerstroke specialties and they said it sound electrical ie; bad ground, fouled up VSS in the rear, or possibly solenoids. But doesn't sound mechanical according to them.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 PM

Hey i was just having this problem with my trans from 1st to 2nd on WOT but i took it to a transmission shop and they took the truck for a test drive and put a scan machine on the truck while driving it, it came back as a ICP which is for your senor for you having low fuel pressure (due to possibly having a Chip or programmed truck or bad ICP) the trucks acceleration has to build up enough pressure and be at the right level for the transmission to shift accordingly. If you ICP is going bad it will effect how the transmission shifts... I was thinking i had a solenoid or power band issue and come to find out its due to the lack of motor from being programmed, Im not saying this is the exact answer BUT i was very surprised when i heard if was something due to engine related... Call around and see if you can find a transmission shop that will do a free testing on the truck and see what the scan machine says.. just thought i would pass along what i just found out
Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
live for the now

I took it to Oreillys and I read the computer and had no codes.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 PM

I would say try and do the scan while driving they had a snap on one that was real nice and it pulled the code when we were driving... im assuming your truck is chipped... did you have it on the stock setting? is your truck acting up on all settings or just one setting? try to do a driving test on stock then on a tune and see if there is a difference in the shifting of the truck... then try and run the machine while driving if you can... you might have to find a tranny shop i doubt Oreillys will drive around with you
Old 03-02-2012, 03:58 AM
live for the now

ok so i stopped screwing around, and decided to call John woods, because every shop in the area was giving me different diagnosis. 1 said, bad valve body, another said bad solenoids, another said needs a complete rebuild.

John asked me to tell him what it was doing and had me drive the truck while he was on the phone. after about 45 minutes to an hour of talking to him on the phone, he said without a doubt it is the solenoids. he asked how hard it shifted before and i told him, and he said ummm wow, so we discussed it and i am going to order the solenoids and the valve body from him. If any of you have any questions or concerns about your tranny, he is a must call. This guy beyond knows the 4r100, and knows every little idiosyncrasy about them..
Old 03-02-2012, 04:32 AM

Glad you got it figured out.
I haven't heard great stuff about Jasper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.