Intermittent TC lockup when coming to a stop - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent TC lockup when coming to a stop

2002 4x2 Ford Excursion, 135k miles. I am struggling with figuring this one out and how to fix it without throwing parts at it....

The TC (I believe) is locking up as I come to a stop and causing the engine to stall. There are NO CODES stored in the DTC. The no code part is confusing to me. I have read on these threads that the TC Solenoid could be to blame, but I assume that would throw a code right? Another thread mentioned a cross leak of some sort...I don't understand that one.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, no replies yet...

It is still doing about once every three weeks.
Dealership test drive and scan showed no problems...you know the ol' "could not duplicate"...Never happens when a mechanic is driving it!

I blew out the cooler and did not see anything out of the ordinary. Air was moving thru the cooler.

I did find ATF in the connector at the rear of the tranny on top. Solenoid leak? Could that be the problem, with no codes?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When it does it will it do it repeatably a few times?
Reason im asking, if it does or you know its coming, try putting it in neutral and see if it still dies.
If not then it could very well be the tc staying engaged.
from what i know of thar system, the pcm doesnt sense the active state of the tcc solenoid. Just applies 12v when it should engage. If this is the case, then the pcm wont know if it actually releases and wont throw a code.

I would just try the neutral thing if you can catch it. Also, if you do that and it doesnt stall that time, beware of putting back in gear!!! Might still be applied and could cause your truck to lunge forward.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When it does it will it do it repeatably a few times?
Reason im asking, if it does or you know its coming, try putting it in neutral and see if it still dies. If not then it could very well be the tc staying engaged.

YES, even if the engine stalls, I start it up and it typically does it immediately again. It usually requires a shut down and wait prior to restart, before it goes away. The problem goes away when placed in N. Also does it in R, 2 and 1.

from what i know of thar system, the pcm doesnt sense the active state of the tcc solenoid. Just applies 12v when it should engage. If this is the case, then the pcm wont know if it actually releases and wont throw a code.

That makes sense. Do you think the wet connector I mentioned has anything to do with it?

I would just try the neutral thing if you can catch it. Also, if you do that and it doesnt stall that time, beware of putting back in gear!!! Might still be applied and could cause your truck to lunge forward.

I know. It has happened in traffic...BAD!

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate all the help/guidance I can get before I start throwing parts at it, or worse yet, a new tranny.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 AM

I am gonna say it is the torque converter clutch solenoid.
It sounds like it is applying but not releasing. If you were experiencing
a problem of it not applying all the time i would say yeah the harness.

A 12v signal to the tcc solenoid applies it and allows trans fluid to go into the tc
and apply the clutch. When the signal is dropped it SHOULD cause the solenoid to open
and release the pressure. I think your solenoid is sticking closed and not allowing the pressure to be released which holds the tcc engaged.

It shouldnt be that expensive or that hard to change.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your help. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.
I will post here with updates as I make progress in order to help others that may have a similar problem.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:59 PM

No problem chief.
Hope ya get it fixed!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's an update...

I cleaned out the wet Solenoid connector and applied Dielectric Grease to the pins. So far, so good...No more stalls/unintended TC lockup while stopping. Hopefully a short?

I'll let you know if anything changes.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM

Huh.....never would have guessed that!

Glad it is workin out for you!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:27 PM

So how about an update? My truck has been doing the exact same thing. Since it has started to warm up the truck is doing great, but it seems to happen after a longer drive. 30 to 45 minutes of travel. When driving around town i have not seen it happen. And yes the truck lunging forward before it dies in traffic really blows! Also what conector did you check, i have not got under the truck to look, just looking for a starting spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.