4R100 Tranny Info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4R100 Tranny Info

I have an ATS Stage 6 Trans in my superduty in my sig. I now need to rebuild it and ATS says they will rebuild it for free but since its out of warranty I have pay for parts and shipping to them. The trans is not grenaded, it just needs clutches, seals, gaskets, bands etc... hard parts are all still good. I have re-built a few transmissions but its always been stock rebuilds and I have never done a 4R100. Basically I am looking for someone that has done a lot with 4R100s and knows their week points.

When I take the trans apart are there any mods you guys suggest doing? I have heard some issues with the 2-3 shift valve sticking. Is there a fix for this? Also this is a performance trans and I want it to shift like one (putting approx 500hp & 1000ft/lbs through it). What would you recommend to make the shifts firmer? Get rid of the accumulator spring? Remove the waveplates in the clutch packs? Mill down the pressure plates and add more clutches?

I was very disappointed with ATS's trans due to the fact that one it only has about 10k miles on it and two it felt like a stock transmission. Shift felt normal, no firmness to them. When I do the rebuild I want it to shift hard firm and fast. I also want to do any mods I can to improve it and make it last.

Anybody have any information that could help me?

Thanks in advance,
Jared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ATS --Another Transmission shot ! I thought they had a 500,000 mile warranty? If I were you I would be very upset!! I wouldn`t even sent it back, fix it your self of find a local guy, or bite the bullet and take it to BTS!!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

No I think ATS is being very generous with their warranty and customer support. I am not the original purchaser of the trans (it came in the truck when I bought it). They OFFERED me free labor to rebuild it. I think that is more than fair.

As for the quality of their transmissions I do not want to get into that. I have what I have and I am more than likely going to rebuild it myself. I just want to know what I should do to it when I rebuild it.

And since you have called them out on quality do you have any evidence of the poor quality? What is bad about how they build their transmissions? What information do you have to prove that their transmissions are junk? (I am not disagreeing with you just asking because if you answer those questions I will know what parts of the trans to address while I am in there).

Like I said I have rebuilt quite a few transmissions before and built some pretty ridiculous wild ones too. The problem I have with this trans is I don't know the downfalls of it; the weak points that need to be upgraded. I can very easily slap new clutches, seals, bands, and gaskets in it in a few hours but I want to fix all the known failure points as well while I am in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.