Any input on Ford's remanufactured transmission? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 03:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any input on Ford's remanufactured transmission?

It's time to rebuild or replace my transmission.
I have read all the praises on BTS and JW transmissions.
Has anyone replaced their trans with the remanufactured one from Ford?
It comes with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I'm thinking they obviously feel it's tough enough.
I can get one from a local dealer for $2,000 and install it myself.
My current transmission has 215,000 miles on it. If I can get that out of the next one I will be extremely pleased.
I drive the truck daily and have been towing medium to heavy loads, 4-8 tons, a couple times a week for the last couple of years.

Any thoughts or has anyone used the remanufactured trans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have not had to get a new or rebuilt trans yet (and I hope I won't have to for a long time) but I use Ford or Motorcraft rebuilt parts all the time for the cheaper price and they seem to hold up for me. If they offer a 3 year warranty then I wouldn't think twice about it. Just make sure that the warranty is still valid if you do the install.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
did mine with ford reman i had to change trans cooler (warranty requirements) 1.5 years so far and no problems local shops give you only 12 months 12k warranty ford unit is worth the money at the sane time kick around synthetic fluid more money but worth it
Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine was replaced with a reman unit around 50k ago by prior owner. Well after my added power goodies it is about time for a new one. Going aftermarket this time. Are you planning on keeping it stock? If so the reman will probably last, otherwise not so much.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:09 AM

I found a retired transmission builder who still rebuilds them on the side to keep busy. Has a nice shop in his back yard, back in the woods. He specializes in race car transmissions and race car hauling trucks. He was also a transmission repair/rebuilder instructor. I got his name and number from a performance shop that helped me rebuild a truck I used to have. The truck had so much torque it snap u-joints like twigs. I ended up selling the truck before I racked up too many speeding tickets. It was a gearhead shop all the way, you could spend hours there talking about motors, gears etc etc. Now, the shop is only open from time to time, that guy is retired to, he just plays around there. The transmission guy is buddies with the guys at this shop. Anyway, he is really reasonable, I can get it rebuild for a excellent price, parts and supplies plus $4-500, including removal and reinstalling. The guys at the performance shop wouldn't have recommended him if he wasn't great.
I will post a update when its all said and done.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 AM

The retired guy couldn't get to my truck until mid- December, so I ended up going to a shop that came highly recommended by some local powerstrokers, cost me $2,900 including a few upgrades to handle towing better and a 24,000 mile warranty.
The remanufactured transmission was my next option with me installing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.