2002 tranny shifting erratically - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 tranny shifting erratically

2002 7.3l 130k miles- Noticed my tranny is shifting up and down a gear repeatedly when running about 30ish mph. Also noticed a couple of times the tranny shifted into higher gear way too soon when entering on ramp to interstate. Could this be a sensor or would a trans service help? Thanks in advance for your reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

cutum, did you ever figure out this problem. This sounds exactly like what i am going through. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still not resolved.. I guess I'll just live with it for now. Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

Couple of things you might want to check if you haven't already is your turn signal switch and you shift lever. I have found out these 2 things will give the tranny a fit. I have talked to a couple of tranny guys and spoke with Brian at BTS, which from what I've heard on here is one of the best. He has been giving me ideas and told me that this is more of a electrical short type issue and not a tranny problem. Hope this helps and i will keep you posted on what i find.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

Cutum i found a thread on here and it kind of sounds like our issue. I'm gonna try this tomorrow. Here is what they said to do; I know im a little late on this one but the trans coolers suck on these you have to either go all aftermarket or remove the lines from the radiator and blow em out with an air hose and some choke carb cleaner. I talked to brian from BTS and it worked great
Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

OK I think i have a possible solution. I spoke to Brian at BTS, which BTW knows his stuff. I told him what was going on, his first response was to tell me to check the alternator. Disconnect the wire in the back and disconnect the harness, tape them out of the way, then drive the vehicle, if it is the alt. the problem should clear up when you discconnect it. The problem being the alternator is surging or not getting enough AC power to the computer or the sensors, in turn it will cause erratic shifting from the tranny. After all this has been done you just need to replace the alternator. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.