please help! First Diesel truck!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
please help! First Diesel truck!!

I traded for a 2000 ford f250 superduty 7.3 with automatic transmission. I am having problem with the transmission shifting. I have read through most of the posts but don't seem to find one that fits what my truck is doing. I can manually shift the truck from 1st thru 4th with the shifter and it shifts fine. No slow shifting or hesitation or slipping. but when I drop it in drive and excelerate it stays in 1st at any rpm until I completely let off the gas than it shifts right to 4th. skips the gears in between. Can stop and start again and it will do the same thing. won't shift out of low until you let completely off the gas. Also the overdrive light on the end of the gear shifter hand is blinking as well-not sure if this is tied to the problem or not? Stopped at my local ford dealer today and they told me it could be any number of things that the only way to tell for sure would be to bring it in and have it hooked to the computer? A friend of mine also told me it was likely the shifter solenoid inside the pan? Any and all idea's, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am already getting pretty discussed with the truck. Todd in West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mine did the same thing. wouldnt shift from first, it would redline until you let off the gas, then would skip 2nd and shift to 3rd. i had broken the intermediate sprag gear. its usually caused by regular full throttle shifts from 1st to 2nd.

if you're running any kind of tuner, make sure it has a transmission program, if not...this problem will continue to happen on the next trans.

(also where you located in WV? i've got family up there...and my old powerstroke now lives in Beckley.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.