Transmission Shifting Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 04:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Shifting Issues

I've got a 99 F350 7.3L Diesel with a Jasper Tranny approx 10k ago.. I also run the Superchips programmer. When i take of from a stop sign the truck won't shift from 1st to 2nd unless i step on it a little bit and then let off the throttle and it'll shift into 2nd. It also does the same thing going into 3rd, but occasionally it will shift on it's own from 2nd to 3rd without having to let off the gas. Is there any tips on where to start looking with this problem? I've also tried changing my programming and put the truck back to stock mode to see if that helped and it didn't change anything. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 05:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i think it's a sign of too much slippage from gear to gear....maybe fordnutz will chime in on this one...he seems to kknow quite a bit about these things....
Old 12-21-2010, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah it's funny you say that, i just sent fordnutz a PM, i was trying to read through as many of the threads as i could find and i noticed he seemed to know quite abit!.

Also just another thing to add with my symptoms, it does down shift fine as i'm slowing down, I parked the truck for now untill i can figure out what to do.. It sucks not being very knowledable about auto trannys! If i don't hear much back i think i'm going to start by draining the fluid and pulling the pan to see if there's anything gross and obvious. I'll definately be taking pics and updating the thread with my findings, hopefully when it's all said and done i'll be able to help someone else out..
Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 AM

yeah, check for particles, burned fluid, etc. mine started hanging in first gear, then started slipping at 1-2 and 2-3, im looking at a full rebuild. Unfortuanately, im broke, so ive got three bottles of lucas in there right now, and it's def. helped, keeps her driveable
Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When i got home today, I decided to check my shift cable adjustment, and it's right on. Then i took the truck around the neighborhood and see about the "slipping", anyhow it seems to pull perfectly fine when i bring it up to around 3k rpm then let off the gas and it will shift into 2nd gear. Actually i noticed i only need to go up to about 2.5K to get her to shift. When i took off from the stop sign i gradually stepped on it (truck pulling hard, didn't notice any "slip" feeling) then around 2.5k let off gas, and then get back into it (it made the shift when i backed off the gas) then i stepped into it gradually (a bit more then "normal" driving to feel for slippage) untill around 3k and let off the gas again to make the shift to 3rd. Again the truck felt solid and didn't notice any slippage.

When i got back to the house i checked the fluid level in the tranny again, it was perfect. The tranny fluid was definately a redish color like i was expecting. I didn't smell any significant "burning" smell. The truck seems to drive like normal with the exception of it not upshifting without using the gas/let off method. Oh and my OD light isn't blinking, so i'm guessing i have no codes to read? I was thinking that my next step would be to drain the tranny fluid, and pop the pan off and take a look see inside..
Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM

Loss of eng power, throttle position lever too low (voltage), .
A most common thing I find when I hear this complaint is, there is actually no 2nd gear. The vehicle keeps accelerating in 1st untill you let off the throttle and it then shifts to 3rd. Take off without letting off the throttle, and count the gears, make sure they are all there. Don't forget tcc feels like a gear. You should have, 1-2-3-4-5, one of them being lockup.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ipz2222 - You got me wondering about not even having 2nd at all... I'll have to take it out to the highway tomorrow and go through all the gears.. Forgive my ignorance but i didn't really understand what you meant about the "loss of eng power, throttle position lever to low (voltage)" Also what does tcc stand for? thanks for the help btw.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Banned

He's talking about torque converter clutch (TCC) lock-up. Try to shift it manually and see what happens.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ahh, I did try the manual shift, when in 2nd i would take off and it felt like it just stayed in first..., I tried doing bringing her up to 2.5-3k and see if it shifted but no luck.... then when putting it in 1st it operated normally. Then back to Drive and it did the same as usual, had to bring her up to around 2.5k then let off to shift............. Sounds like i'll be learning how to rebuild this sucker!

Last edited by dw710; 12-21-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Banned

It could be a stuck valve, but like ipz2222 said, I would consider scanning live data first and making double sure everything is working like it should. Then dig into the mechanical part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.