Transmission Questions... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Transmission Questions...

I've pulled the transmission out of my 2001 7.3l F250, and am installing a Ford rebuilt automatic on Sunday. I have several questions though...

* Despite bold 14point warnings in the owner's manual NOT to use Mercon V, my local ford dealer said that's what comes in it and that's what they use. Anyone know if that's true? Mercon V says specifically not to use in transfer cases, but that's what the dealer told me to put in it as well. Help?

* Anyone use a second cooler in addition to the factory one? While I'm replacing the factory cooler, I could add a second one somewhere. Several of my RV owner friends that pull race cars say they do this to help with tranny life.

* I've heard of transmission temp gauges that plug into the OBDII port. Anyone have any advice? I'd like to put a guage in it so I can monitor what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Banned

Castrol Merc V is fine. I would get a larger cooler for sure. I would also use a Autometer gauge with the probe in the pressure test port.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBMC View Post
* I've heard of transmission temp gauges that plug into the OBDII port. Anyone have any advice? I'd like to put a guage in it so I can monitor what's going on.
Scangage II ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool and will help you out with the EOT / ECT
Old 12-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

I wonder how accurate those are? I don't see where it monitors trans temps. Have you used one before?

Last edited by FordNutz; 12-17-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva
I would replace the trans cooler with the 6.0l cooler. Bolts in place just need the adapter kit.
Ford 6.0L Powerstroke OEM Transmission Cooler

I've got one as you an see in my sig. I also use Amsoil transmission fluid, in fact my entire rig consists of Amsoil fluids. I also have the trans filter system
Old 12-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordNutz View Post
I wonder how accurate those are? I don't see where it monitors trans temps. Have you used one before?
Have one use it for the most part in reading the temperatures of the intake air, transmission, ECT and EOT in Arizona heat these are critical to know when it is 120+

Can be set up to display 4 readouts showing at one time

For highway running the manifold boost pressure, the live MPG and the ECT / EOT

The 07 has factory dash transmission and ECT gages but are just a if reading mid point are it is in factory approved area for operating, the Scangage shows the movement up climbing a grade and the dropping back down on the down side live some of the other add on seem to have issues with power feeds and grounds in getting good readouts

Has some 15 or more possibly points that are taken from the onboard computers controlling the truck Thinking your alternator is not working to high voltage cooking the batteries or to low not keeping them up and slow hard starts you can see what it doing as you drive
Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tranny is back in and working...

The factory replacement cooler is about 2/3 larger than the one I pulled off the truck. Seems they know they have a problem there.

As for the ScangaugeII, it looks like the tranny temp is under the Xgauge feature. But it isn't listed in the 7.3 l diesel section, just under the Ford PWM. PWM? DieselFord, you are using one to monitor tranny fluid temps in your 7.3?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:47 PM

PWM.. pulse width modulation. The torque converter is modulated on in a 3 phase time frame.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

errrr... does that have anything to do with a flux capacitor? Sorry... in my mind an automatic transmission (and the torque convertor) operates with secret words and magic dust.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBMC View Post
Tranny is back in and working...

The factory replacement cooler is about 2/3 larger than the one I pulled off the truck. Seems they know they have a problem there.

As for the ScangaugeII, it looks like the tranny temp is under the Xgauge feature. But it isn't listed in the 7.3 l diesel section, just under the Ford PWM. PWM? DieselFord, you are using one to monitor tranny fluid temps in your 7.3?
My truck is a 2007 with 6.0 Did you enter the script and see if it works ? Try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.