Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

skipping 2nd gear/high rpm shift

12K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  FordNutz 
#1 ·
alright this is not easy to explain but from a dead stop 1st gear will wind out to 3000 rpms before shifting into 2nd, but when it does shift into 2nd almost everytime it will fall right into 3rd. i tried to start in 2nd from a stop but once again it will stay in first and once it gets to 3000 r's it does a "double" shift and goes right into 3rd. just did an oil change that really didnt go as planned because all i really did was drain the pan then over filled it so i drained out the extra fluid to a good level and it did absolutely nothing to fix my problem. everybody tells me that the shift solenoid is messed up but i cant seem to find that to fix it, so i would really like for some help diagnosing the problem or finding the solenoid, i have a 2000 f-250 xlt 7.3L diesel with the 4r100 tranny, its a daily driver so i would really like some help with this

#6 ·
Put it in park and crawl under the truck. Make sure the lever on the trans is as far back as it can go. Also, look at your range sensor, there are two alignment marks on it, when you are in neutral, the alignment marks will line up too. Make sure your emergency brake is on and the truck is off! Safety first.

#8 ·
Time to go deeper. You will need to pressure test it and watch to see if you have a cross leak or leak then during that shift. Leaking check ball, feed bolts, vb gaskets, ect...

#10 ·
No, you need a oil pressure gauge with a range up to 300 psi. The test port is the little plug in front of your lever. Don't be tempted to use one that is not rated for that kind of pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.