Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Drive Engaging Problem

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dmd 
#1 ·
Ok so I have spent a few hours trying to search this and havent found and exact issue like mine.

When I first start the truck after sitting for more then an hour or so, The truck will go into drive but not move. If i rev it up to about 1200-1500 sometimes it will engage other times nothing. If I let the truck idle for about 10-15 min there is no problem engaging. Also if I start the truck and hold the RPM's at 1000 for a min or two the tranny will engage fine. Does anyone have a straight answer for me?
The tranny shop I called said maybe the "drain back valve" or the pump. Im not super worried about, if it goes it goes, but Im about to make a 5000 mile round trip next month (not towing anything) and dont want it going half way through the trip.

#3 ·
Forgot to mention, its benn doing this for about a week. Changed the fluid and filter in the tranny. Fluid still looked good and no bad smell. Also this is just my daily driver truck. I do not tow anything with it besides a few cases of beer on the weekends.

#4 ·
Ck the fluid level before starting the eng in the am. Should be not more than 1 inch above the full mark. If it is more than that, the fluid is draining back out of the converter. If it has been rebuilt before, it may have a modification that creates full time lube. Not a bad thing but annoying. My truck has it and if it sets for 4 days, it won't even move when I first start it up. I just let it idle for 20 seconds and the tc fills up and it goes right into gear.
Other wise, trans is worn out.

#5 ·
Heres an update. Took it to the transmission shop today and all of my forward clutches are burnt up. $2300 for a rebuild and new torque converter. Comes with a 2yr/24000 mile warranty, not too bad I guess. Thanks for all the input:icon_ford:

#6 ·
NOt a bad price, but if it ever needs it done again you could have had a BTS or John Woods... Then you would have had a real transmission!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.