looking to upgrade trans. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 04:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking to upgrade trans.

Hey guys im looking to upgrade my trans I have an 02 f250 psd lifted 6" on 35's with an edge evolution programmer and a bullydog shift kit wanting to upgrade the trans and go with better parts any suggestions. I am looking at going with the ats triple loc converter and their best rebuild kit but was wondering if should or if there is upgrades for any other parts. I just want to try and make it as reliable as possible with out sinking 5 grand into it. Dont do alot of pulling but when I do its a half ton truck on trailer or a john deere. That and kinda wanna be able to turn up the power and play a lil with not to much worry. Thanks and appreciate all the info ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont know much about trannys but I need one too and have spent quite a bit of time on the phone with builders. Seems like the weakest links are the TC, hands down. Everybody I have talked to say to spend the money on a good converter and go from there depending on what you do with the truck. Next step would typically be a valve body. You can have big/bad *** clutch packs but none of that matters if your getting no fluid and running high temps. Good luck man, im personally SICK of an auto
Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Yea I havent been on the phone much with people I used to work at the ford dealer in my town as a mechanic and quit and went down to the chevy dealer. I talk to the guy that does all the trans stuff at the ford place and he said the same is the tc is the weak link but he said you run into other stuff everynow and then but really no upgrades that he knew of he said a good tc shift kit and even stock clutch packs and stuff should hold fine. I dont see what the difference is between a stock valve body to an aftermarket one all you should need is a bigger pressure valve and stiffer springs which i have. Heck I like the auto just want it to hold up to some abuse. If someone can also explain what the difference is in a stock vb and and aftermarket one that would be awesome also.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same here, Would like to know some tranny options other than spending 4500 at BTS. Im not broke, but not rich either. that is just outta line I think, but i may be wrong....
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Yea I think it is also I mean I know what kind of work is involved in working on a trans its not simple its something u gotta know what your doing but i d*@m sure aint rich and can afford just to blow money like that it would be nice but cant that and I like to do my own work and rebuild my own stuff that way I knw what has been done. not saying anybody is a liar or a theif but have seen it done before with trans work someone said it was a complete rebuild and it was a rebuild with used parts.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Banned

It can be done and I do it every day for way less than 4500.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im sure BTS has some tricks, but is it really more than a better valve body and just good internals? Im sure they have a nice converter too. I priced some things from ATS last night and to me a very well built tranny with retail price on parts, I still had about
2k extra for labor. Thats me buyin best parts and good converter, having it bench built. But again, I don't want to say their product isn't worth it, I just don't have much experiance with it. It may be the cat's a**??!! Would like to hear from some BTS owners about their experiences with them and other built trannies. Thanks for your time!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You either pay the price for a BTS or JW and get a trans built to take it or you get a rebuilt trans from whoever and take your chances. For Big HP guys thats your option..IMO get one from a know expert not a unknown expert..
DYI..call JW and ask him about his kit..

Thousands of posts on this subject..
Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 AM

fordnutz, what would you suggest throwing into a transmission that takes daily abbuse, wot 50% of take offs and such lol
Old 10-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyd View Post
fordnutz, what would you suggest throwing into a transmission that takes daily abbuse, wot 50% of take offs and such lol
Let me guess, you have a BTS transmission?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.