00' ZF6, help? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 00' ZF6, help?

I'll keep it short, but need any help possible.

Trans in my truck always shifted a bit rough since I got it this spring. In the last week I noticed it start to grind (worse) going into gear occasionally, and occasionally didn't want to go into gear at all. Today it completely let go on me. Left the farm for town, noticed no shifting problems at all, if anything a bit better than usual but could be wrong. Got to town, and it was rough going into 3rd, fine downshifting into 2nd. Then the next two intersections I had to ram it into 1st to get out of the green light.

I pulled over and I can feel the clutch (either clutch disc itself or clutch cylinder) bottom out about 1" from the firewall. The clutch hasn't disengaged at all, if I crank it over in gear it moves the truck. The pedal does feel a bit soft/spongy, but I haven't drove the truck much lately so I could be wrong, but it does feel strange.
-----------------------

Any helpful suggestions welcome, as I need it going ASAP.

Thanks guys!

EDIT - I pulled the salve out of the bellhousing and I can push the rod on the slave in and out about 1.5" by hand. Any insight?

Last edited by sniper_101; 10-24-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 02:08 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper_101 View Post
I'll keep it short, but need any help possible.

Trans in my truck always shifted a bit rough since I got it this spring. In the last week I noticed it start to grind (worse) going into gear occasionally, and occasionally didn't want to go into gear at all. Today it completely let go on me. Left the farm for town, noticed no shifting problems at all, if anything a bit better than usual but could be wrong. Got to town, and it was rough going into 3rd, fine downshifting into 2nd. Then the next two intersections I had to ram it into 1st to get out of the green light.

I pulled over and I can feel the clutch (either clutch disc itself or clutch cylinder) bottom out about 1" from the firewall. The clutch hasn't disengaged at all, if I crank it over in gear it moves the truck. The pedal does feel a bit soft/spongy, but I haven't drove the truck much lately so I could be wrong, but it does feel strange.
-----------------------

Any helpful suggestions welcome, as I need it going ASAP.

Thanks guys!

EDIT - I pulled the salve out of the bellhousing and I can push the rod on the slave in and out about 1.5" by hand. Any insight?
Sounds like it's time for a new prebled masterand slave cylinder assembly. Ford sell that whole assembly.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 AM

Ford here wants $404 for a pre-bled assembly! I noticed RockAuto has 4x different makers of a pre-bled assembly (probably all the same Chinese company). Are any of these good substitutes? As they're only $100-200, I'd need to order it from Ford and wait anyway.

My current slave has no signs of being bleed-able.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:55 AM

Mine too just started doing this. I was wondering if it was the clutch, but I will try this route first!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:12 PM

I think that is about the easiest slave to remove, ever. No tools required. New slave here tomorrow, $46.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:58 PM

Let me know how that turns out. I have a full Master/Slave cylinder pre-bled system coming sometime this week.

x2 on the easy removal! Took me all of 10 minutes to remove the entire hydraulic clutch system.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:24 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Check the bushings on the pedal assembly first, they tend to wear out and cause some of the exact symptoms you are describing.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Check the bushings on the pedal assembly first, they tend to wear out and cause some of the exact symptoms you are describing.
I just noticed that my bushings are gone 100% when looking to see if I can increase clutch rod travel. I will replace that and possibly get some more travel.

Can the rod travel be increased, or do I need to buy a new pressure plate/throwout bearing?

I'm not hearing any of the typical failing throwout bearing noises or symptoms or any other bad noises than the occasional squeak from the clutch.

Input?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
When you replace the bushing everything should be back to normal. What was happening is that your clutch was not disengaging all the way because when you pushed the pedal down, much of the travel was taken up by the slack in the bushing, meaning that it wasn't even putting pressure on the throwout bearing until you were getting close to the floor.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:19 PM

Im gonna go pop the new slave out quick, see if the shift fork is bent.

Jake, is that bushing aavailable from Ford?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.