Transmission questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 06:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission questions

Hey guys, more transmission questions so here goes my little story.
Stock 4r100 seems to be in great shape, stock TC, etc.... I always pay close attention to the fluid & change before it ever gets bad or have many miles on it. the truck does the occasional 'bog down in reverse' scenario but seems fine otherwise. over the last 50k to 70k of miles, it feels like the power is there from the engine, but never gets to the wheels. I watch the trans fluid temp always, which never gets over 180 (towing anything heavy) and am very mindful of how I treat the entire truck. After reading alot of what you all have said/experienced as well as talking to several trusted mechanics i know, it feels like to me, that the TC is weak. So, would I spend the money to get a good TC and replace just that or run it till I get the entire transmission rebuilt w/ new TC? I just feel like the tranny has life left in it and don't want to tear into it prematurely. Please let me know what y'all think and or have experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Banned

How many miles total on this trans and is it the original trans to the truck? If it were me and it had low miles on it, I might just replace the TC if that was the problem. But, since the trans has to come out, I'd probly just do it all at the same time and be done with it. Tranny lets go with a new TC, TC needs to be cut open and cleaned out to be safe.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:15 PM

update....
on the way home everything was fine, then under mild acceleration, nothing. just like I had put it in neutral. no noises or anyhting. I didn't even have the radio on (just listening to the turbo). Came to a halt and I had no gears. Not even a hint of 1st, reverse, nothing.... tranny fluid is still excellent from the recent change (few weeks ago & thousand or so miles). Fluid temp was right at 128...
Keeping in mind I had a shudder in the driveline for quite some time now (seemingly from the weak TC) as well as the feeling of a manual transmission with a worn out clutch, I'm still leaning to a TC gone by the way side. Any thoughts? how is the best way to tell when the TC is definetly a gonner?
Prior to this, I have had no issues with the tranny, great firm shifts, no common issues... So, I certainly appreciate any thoughts and suggestions/knowledge from you tranny experts out there. This one has me mighty curious tonight.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I`m new to all this diesel stuff and would like to ask about transmission shift on a 2000 F250 crew cab I just purchased and the transmission is a 4R100 4 speed I believe and when the temp is warm outside it shifts great ! but when It gets cold like 20s its shifts from 1st to 3rd just fine but have to hit over 55 to 60 miles an hour before it shifts to to forth then overdrive and It don`t have much power until it shifts to 4th and any thoughts would be a Great help thanks !! the truck has 182,000 miles on it all original miles

Last edited by wyoming7.3; 11-17-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: forgot miles on it
Old 11-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

That's pretty much exactly how my "trans" failed. I didn't even try and diagnose it, but I was told that was the most likely culprit was the TQ converter. I ended up replacing the whole setup with Suncoast stuff since they are local to me. 100,000 miles later I have no complaints.
-Aaron
Old 11-25-2010, 11:07 AM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
That's pretty much exactly how my "trans" failed. I didn't even try and diagnose it, but I was told that was the most likely culprit was the TQ converter. I ended up replacing the whole setup with Suncoast stuff since they are local to me. 100,000 miles later I have no complaints.
-Aaron

how do you like the transmission? is it just their standard upgrade transmission or did you do some other optional upgrades to it? you did the TC at the same time right? which one did you go with?
Old 11-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggk View Post
how do you like the transmission? is it just their standard upgrade transmission or did you do some other optional upgrades to it? you did the TC at the same time right? which one did you go with?

Knowing these are weak transmissions and not liking automatics much myself I went "all out". I got basically their standard upgrade but added billet shafts, along with a 6.0L Cooler, mag-hytec pan, etc. Cost me a few pesos, but haven't had a lick of problem out of it. I filled out one of their sheets about "What you do with the truck, it's current and future mods" and got what they recommended and then had them add the billet parts. I don't tow really heavy, but I do have a heavy foot and I've had it buried in the mud up past the bottom of the doors at least a few times. I take care of it, but I'm not afraid to use it as a truck. I've only changed the fluid and filter once, but it (the fluid) still looked brand new. I just figured despite looking great, the mileage made it about due. It had some clutch sediment in the bottom of the pan when I pulled it down, but general consesus was it was probably mostly from the initial break in of the clutches. Regardless...it is showing no signs of slowing down or needing attention after 100k and almost 4 years.
-Aaron
Old 11-25-2010, 07:45 PM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ok cool, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.