Transmission shudder? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Transmission shudder?

i have an 03 f350 and it shakes when it is between the speeds of 37mph to 68mph when its rpms are below 2000 and has more of a load such as accelerating or going up a hill. i have had the truck for a month now, and it has done it since i have owned it.the mileage just rolled over 100,000. is it my torque converter or something else?

Last edited by khaos; 10-15-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

A tc chatter usually happens just as the tc starts to apply. If it is a steady shake , it may be an injector.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

does it sound like you are hitting rumble strips in the road, or like the sound a wheel bearing makes when it goes bad?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i had the engine codes read, and all that came up was "kam error" and Exhaust pressure control. i was told by a diesel mechanic that an injector going bad would cause an engine cod on the snap on scanner he had. the shake is not like rumble strips but somewhat similar to going down a poorly maintained dirt road. i feel it in the whole truck but more in the steering wheel. i would compare it to driving a 5 speed car, putting in 5th gear at 40mph and trying to accelerate
Old 10-16-2010, 12:44 AM

Did the diesel mechanic drive it. kam means the batt has been disconected.
I'm not a diesel mechanic but I don't think a parttially clogged injector will set a code. It will for sure cause a shakeing engine under load.
A tcc chatter may or may not set a code. Most of the time, not.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:33 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do the injector tests when the motor is cold forst thing in the morning, its a buzz test and a cylinder contribution test. A real bad injector will fail when its hot. I had that on number 8 cyl. I have a 7 thats week. It only shows up at first start. I have a low rpm vibration when its cold i the morning. It can also be u joints, out of balanced driveshaft, a bad driveshaft support bearing etc. BUt get the motor scanned when its cold first. Run the 2 tests.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ill do those 2 tests. the reason he said that his scanner would be able to tell if an injector was going bad was because he has the type of scanner that revs the engine and whatnot and senses things that are wrong that the pcm can't. the engine runs smooth when its cold or hot at an idle and up to about 38 mph when it shifts into third gear, and if i stomp on it to make it shift it will go away until it upshifts again. it is worst when i am going about 50 mph, especially when i am going up a hill, when it is in fourth gear at about 1200 rpm. if it is an injector, would it be better to just replace all of them or just the malfuntioning one?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaos View Post
ill do those 2 tests. the reason he said that his scanner would be able to tell if an injector was going bad was because he has the type of scanner that revs the engine and whatnot and senses things that are wrong that the pcm can't. the engine runs smooth when its cold or hot at an idle and up to about 38 mph when it shifts into third gear, and if i stomp on it to make it shift it will go away until it upshifts again. it is worst when i am going about 50 mph, especially when i am going up a hill, when it is in fourth gear at about 1200 rpm. if it is an injector, would it be better to just replace all of them or just the malfuntioning one?
My 99 does the same thing. Especially when in O/D at 1,700 rpms or lower. It's like driving down a dirt road thats been washboarded by rain. Once it's in the 2,000rpm area, it goes away, but low rpms it's rough. I think it's definitely transmission related.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the only reason i am leaning towards it not being transmission related is that i put some anti shudder additive to the tranny and it didn't change anything, also my transmission temp gauge is reading normal. i almost wonder if a programmer would change anything. i am glad that someone else has the same issue though
Old 10-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Checked your Ujoints recently??

doesnt sound like a tranny issue, sounds like a driveline problem almost..

i had the same "shudder " on the highway and 2 u joints had failed..feels like rumble strips..also there is needle bearings in teh front hubs that cause this kind of issues too..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.