Transmisson upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Transmisson upgrades

I have 142k on my stock trans. The tq rattles and is as loud as the engine. my obs never sounded like this. so since it shifts fine and doesnt slip when in od, is it safe to install a bts vb and a bts tq? just tryin to avoid a trans rebuild right after buyin these parts and having to replace them again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
BTS VB yes, BTS Tq converter will require front pump mods. If your planing on getting a BTS in the future you will get credit for your BTS parts. Brian isn't fond of using his converter on a old trans as it could push it over the limit.
If your not getting a BTS build in the future I would get a BTS VB and our 6.0 Tq converter upgrade..less than 1/2 cost of a BTS converter.

PM me if I can help..If you want a price on a delivered BTS let me know, I drop ship them all over the country.

Cary
Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have you checked the flex plate? You might get lucky with just a cracked plate.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Banned

that was brought to my attention last night on the flex plate. im about to go look at it and the tq nuts.

on the 6.0 tq, that will work on a 7.3 and a 4r100? is that tq new or used? whats the advantage of that since i havent heard that was possible.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:38 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Its new designed to drop right in, JW uses a version of this Tq converter in all his builds. A stock 6.0 can make 400+ and the converter holds up. They are rated to over 400HP.

Cary
Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

just checked the plate. no cracks and all nuts are tight. take the tq cover off and let the engine idle, its ear shattering. louder with out the cover on.

funny thing is that it shifts fine and locks fine with no slipping.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would go this route since you know your tranny won't last forever. No need to drop a lot of money in it so your looking for the best bang per buck. I would do the Transgo tugger kit in the valve body, which is what everybody uses anyway, install it yourself comes with instuctions. Best price I found is through summit racing I think $93.00 is what it cost. Ford offers a upgraded hd torque converter which is basically a factory modded 6.0 converter that works well with the stock pump. I think it cost around $500. Wish I could find the part # for ya misplaced it somewhere.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:01 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

which would be better, a Ford HD Torque converter, or the one that CaryT sells?

CaryT, whats your price on that Torque Converter? PM if you want to. Shipping to 28732 Thanks..... MIne is in need of serious work also.

And yes, fords TC is about 500 bux.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:28 PM

I think the ford hd unit and the JW unit are internaly very similar being both based off the 6.0 converter. Difference being the JW one has a billet front cover and the Ford one doesn't. Is it worth getting the billet front? That is up to you. I think if you need the billet front you might as well suck it up and get the tranny rebuilt anyway. Remember when the tranny goes the torque converter needs replaced too. That is why I say you want the best bang per buck going the try and make it last route. Pretty sure the JW one is over $500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.