Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Transmisson upgrades

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JJR 
#1 ·
I have 142k on my stock trans. The tq rattles and is as loud as the engine. my obs never sounded like this. so since it shifts fine and doesnt slip when in od, is it safe to install a bts vb and a bts tq? just tryin to avoid a trans rebuild right after buyin these parts and having to replace them again.

#2 ·
BTS VB yes, BTS Tq converter will require front pump mods. If your planing on getting a BTS in the future you will get credit for your BTS parts. Brian isn't fond of using his converter on a old trans as it could push it over the limit.
If your not getting a BTS build in the future I would get a BTS VB and our 6.0 Tq converter upgrade..less than 1/2 cost of a BTS converter.

PM me if I can help..If you want a price on a delivered BTS let me know, I drop ship them all over the country.

Cary

#7 ·
I would go this route since you know your tranny won't last forever. No need to drop a lot of money in it so your looking for the best bang per buck. I would do the Transgo tugger kit in the valve body, which is what everybody uses anyway, install it yourself comes with instuctions. Best price I found is through summit racing I think $93.00 is what it cost. Ford offers a upgraded hd torque converter which is basically a factory modded 6.0 converter that works well with the stock pump. I think it cost around $500. Wish I could find the part # for ya misplaced it somewhere.

#8 ·
which would be better, a Ford HD Torque converter, or the one that CaryT sells?

CaryT, whats your price on that Torque Converter? PM if you want to. Shipping to 28732 Thanks..... MIne is in need of serious work also.

And yes, fords TC is about 500 bux.

#9 ·
I think the ford hd unit and the JW unit are internaly very similar being both based off the 6.0 converter. Difference being the JW one has a billet front cover and the Ford one doesn't. Is it worth getting the billet front? That is up to you. I think if you need the billet front you might as well suck it up and get the tranny rebuilt anyway. Remember when the tranny goes the torque converter needs replaced too. That is why I say you want the best bang per buck going the try and make it last route. Pretty sure the JW one is over $500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.