Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Truck dies when I put it in drive??

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  FordNutz 
#1 ·
ok, please don't flame me for this but I promised my Dad I would ask you guys on here before he goes back to the tranny shop so he has alittle ammo. Anyways, the TC went out six months ago on his 01 Dodge, and he replaced it with an aftermarket triple disc I think (like $2g's) as of a month ago second gear went out in the truck and he had the tranny completely rebuilt. Ever since he got it back from the shop the truck dies first thing in the morning when he puts it into drive. It dies two times and on the third try it will be fine for the rest of the day and this happens every morning. The guys at the tranny shop said they have no idea why it would do that. must be some sensor not getting pressure/fluid on the first 2 starts?

#2 ·
nothing huh? just cuz it's a dodge right? ha anyways, i talked to my local tranny shop and he figures the only thing that can do that is a bad solenoid or seal is bleeding pressure into the TC causing it to lock until the rest of the system builds pressure.

#3 ·
sounds like your tc is locking up right as he puts it in drive kind of like dumping the clutch on a manual in 1st gear. Is there a sensor that locks up the tc on that truck? it might be bad or loose.

#4 ·
Ill take a stab at it even though it is a DADADADodge. erbiliabuc is correct. Same thing depending on year, the TC should be solenoid controlled. The converter is locking up. I wonder, did you pinch a wire grounding it out from the install or bad connection? Look at your wiring and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.