I bought a 1000$ tranny off Ebay - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought a 1000$ tranny off Ebay

Ok so I picked up my truck. Total cost was 1850$ and the place is called A.M. transmissionz in Phoenix,AZ. It's one of the 2 1000$ tranny places on Ebay. I really do not recommend 1-stop transmissions because they will promise you the moon and the ocean and then you look them up for reviews on google and its terrible news. The definitive problem with my transmission is hard to pin point but it seems to have been the mechanical shifter that moves when you shift the truck. It was definitely not the right one on my truck and it was letting my tranny slip in forward gears all of the time.

This was my cost break down
1000$ for transmission with fluids
275$ for torque converter
300$ for labor for everything
225$ for tranny cooler
50$ for oil change
Free-shift kit (they had it from someone that put a deposit for a tranny but never came and got it)
Free-shifter mechanism (had to be replaced and they had an extra one on hand so they gave it to me for free)
I specified to test drive my truck for a while because I had a 270 mile drive home and they did test drive it for 47 miles ( I set my trip meter to 0 when I dropped it off) and they said it performed great. I was very happy with the service and it is a family operated shop and they take their customers very seriously (Owner offered to let me have his personal car for 4 days because they didnt finish the install in the 6 hours they allotted but no big deal). The day I picked it up they were actually shipping out 2 4r100's. They said that they rarely install trannies and that their main business is rebuilding the entire transmission. They took me into their shop where most of it gets done and these guys gut the trannies of clutches and everything. Every piece gets replaced, even the valve bodies. You dont get a rebuild you get a remanufactured trannie with all new everything. I chose to take it to them because the price of shipping was going to cover the labor and my Geico road side service actually towed my truck 250 miles to their shop. With them doing the installation its a 30 month warranty but I seriously doubt that I will need it. Overall I am very happy with service and communication. I dont tow very often and if I do its usually a 4,000 pound utility trailer at the most so I couldnt talk myself into paying more for a JW or BTS tranny then I did for my truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Good luck hope it lasts a few months.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:54 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
whats there ebay name? I have been looking thru ebay and have considered 1 stop transmissions too. I would be happy to check out your place.
thx
shoot me there ebay name or a ebay link or something. I would appreciate it

Last edited by melmount; 09-07-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
whats there ebay name? I have been looking thru ebay and have condifered 1 stop transmissions too. I would be happy to check out youyr place.
thx
shoot me there ebay name or a ebay link or something. I would appreciate it
yeah I considered 1 stop also but read their reviews and it was terrible. I dont see the need to pay 3800$ for a transmission that I would have to then pay to be shipped to me and also installed so thats the route I took. If it lasts 2 months I wont be mad because I will just take it right back to them. Its called a.m. transmissionz (with a z). If you cant go to them then consider their warranty useless because they require many things to validate their warranty (new tranny cooler, proffesional installation, validated inspection of installation) and thats why I took mine directly to the source.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I work in a repair shop. I would install my self.
The trans itself, do you feel its a good piece?
Your mechanical issues, was it with the new trans or the reason you got one/
Old 09-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
I work in a repair shop. I would install my self.
The trans itself, do you feel its a good piece?
Your mechanical issues, was it with the new trans or the reason you got one/
I sent you a message but my issues were with the trans that someone else rebuilt 2 years ago. Seems like they broke the shifter mechanism down by the tranny and replaced it with the wrong one and it would slip into neutral on and off while it was in drive and eventually wore down all of my clutches. I feel that I made a sound purchase and got my moneys worth. I've put 350 miles on it the first 2 days I picked it up and I know this seems like a short time but from what I have read its the time that matters the most as to finding defects. No problems whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.