What is normal trans operation like? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is normal trans operation like?

Hello, forgive me for such a generic question, but this is my first 4R100, my first 7.3, and my first truck with an auto. So, I have some questions.

First, what speed will this transmission shift into OD? It seems like mine flat out won't do it under 45mph. If I'm cruising around that speed, it will act like it 'wants' to but it won't actually kick up untill I pass 45mph.

Also, in what gears will the TC lock? It seems like sometimes it like to coast, and other times it will be locked and I can't quite figure it out. I'm so used to driving a standard transmission that this TC lock/unlock thing is weird to me. Its especially weird to be coasting at 30 mph with the engine idleing and then go to get back on it and watch/hear the rpms have to 'catch back up' to the driveline.

One last thing, how accurate is the trans temp indicator on the factory dash. I understand that its nowhere near as acurate as an aftermarket gauge (i mean it doesnt even have numbers) but in general if it never excedes half way up on the scale, am I still safe?

Are there any major signs or clues that this transmission might be failing, or anything to watch out for that would be a sign? The fluid is a good color and smells like good clean trans fluid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 12:05 PM

The factory designed the trans to slip into OD so the TC lockup is not harsh so that is normal. I think it starts to engage at 45 and locks at 55 or something like that. You can buy a module to fix it and/or programming will fix some of it. I have mine for sale if your interested

I've never seen a factory trans gauge in 7.3 so I don't know what your seeing there. Either way its a dummy light and not accurate in any way.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

I'm in the same boat as the OP, so subscribing.

Also wondering, my pickup has 100k on it and I don't know the prior maintenance records. Should I flush the tranny, change the filter, add an external filter, etc. What's the recomendation?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
The factory designed the trans to slip into OD so the TC lockup is not harsh so that is normal. I think it starts to engage at 45 and locks at 55 or something like that. You can buy a module to fix it and/or programming will fix some of it. I have mine for sale if your interested

I've never seen a factory trans gauge in 7.3 so I don't know what your seeing there. Either way its a dummy light and not accurate in any way.
Thanks for the response. The 02/03 7.3s got the updated gauge cluster, which includes a trans temp gauge in the upper right corner of the dash (where the volt-meater is on a standard trans truck). It does appear to be a variable gauge. It moves depending on how hard I'm being on it, but I don't trust its accuracy very much.

Here is a picture of the newer 7.3 cluster I found online...

Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM

The stock tranny gauge is simply an idiot light, absolutely useless. If it shows hot, it is too late. You can cook your AT and never know it. 4R100 is plenty strong, they fail from overheating. The tranny does have an accurate temp gauge built in, and you can access it with a Scangauge thru your OBDII port. But most people get 3 aftermarket gauges; pyrometer, trans temp, and boost. I have Isspros for example. Those gauges cover the info you really need. Most people also get an extra tranny cooler, the stock one is puny. Extra cooling is mandatory if you plan to tow. Search for threads or check FAQ, this is a well documented topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.