early 99 slamming 3rd and 4th - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
early 99 slamming 3rd and 4th

i have an early 99 4 door 2wd with the automatic transmission. for around 6 months it was ran with a total diesel performance 4 bank chip with exhaust and intake. then for around a year it had stage 2 injectors with a d66 turbo and was driven pretty heavily. the previous owner had rebuilt the transmission and it was "beefed up" as he called it. idk what exactly was done but when i did all of these mods the transmission always shifted flawlessly with no slipping or anything and had good solid shifts even at WOT. well i lifted the heads on the previous engine from too much boost and it had around 330k miles so instead of tearing into it i just swapped in another stock engine. everything is completely back stock except for the exhaust now. fluid is to the full line. maybe a little brown but not too bad. the 1-2 shift is always perfect and soft but doesnt slip. if i take off at a very slow pace the 2-3 shift is fine. if i take off with traffic at a normal pace it slams the hell out of 3rd gear like i got rearended. but if i go WOT it shifts through the gears like a new truck with no slipping and no slamming into gear.... 4th usually does fine but if i go to pass a car and drop down to 3rd and then let it shift back to 4th it usually has a small bump but nothing like the 2-3 shift ever does. any suggestions or things to look into? maybe a sensor of some sort? id rather not bring it to a shop because i dont wanna pay someone to diagnose a simple problem.. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
was the pcm changed any? and what year was the stock engine you put in it?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:09 PM

I have that problem every once in awhile with a Bully dog six position chip,and you are right it does feel like someone ran into the back of you,very hard.Hav never found out what it was.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:32 PM

nope.. just posted today so idk whats wrong yet. i put an engine out of an early 99 that i got as a salvage truck. the ecm is a early 99 and never had a program on it. just a 4 bank TW chip plugged in. its gettin a little worse all the time and is starting to worry me. its just weird cuz if i floor it it shifts through all the gears like its brand new. it only slams 3rd on a half throttle takeoff and just a little on 4th sometimes. almost like it just throws it into the next gear instantly
Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

whats the 4 bank tw chip? the 6pos chip with 4 tunes on it?

what tune does this and what tunes are on the chip?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:56 PM

it was originally a quadzilla f chip... same chip that wildman sells. he reflashed it when i added the stage 2 injectors and turbo and it had a stock, towing, economy and extreme tune on it. none of this is on the truck anymore. as i said i swapped in a completely bone stock engine out of an early 99 just like mine. and nothing is hooked to nor downloaded onto the stock computer. 100% stock. even went back to stock airbox.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Banned

so if the engine is stock, the pcm tunes are stock,

how many miles are on the trans?

prolly not related, but did you check your drivetrain for looseness on the joints?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 PM

u joints and all are tight. tranny has prolly..... 80k miles

o and when the transmission is cold on first startup for the day it shifts through the gears normally too.. but when its warmed up is when it starts slamming third. and i do actually mean slamming. like switching gears with no slipping at all. ive had to learn to drive around that by letting off as it starts to shift
Old 09-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

free bump... my truck seems to be having the same problem. early 99 4wd 7.3 I bought the truck this time last year with the trans slamming 3rd problem and have put 30,000 miles on it and not had any other problems with it. it must not be that importaint because it is still running strong.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

your tunes stock david ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.