2001 F250 spillingtranny fluid while pulling camper - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 2001 F250 spillingtranny fluid while pulling camper

I have a 01 250 with the 7.3 and was recently returning from a camping trip running around 65-70 mph and noticed smoke from the rear of the truck. Pulled over to investigate and found that tranny fluid was leaking from the overflow spout directly behind the oil pan. Truck was changing gears fine and was not showing a high tempurature. Got off and let the truck cool down and added one quart of tranny fluid which it then showed that it was full. Continued home and checked several times and found no more leak from the overflow spout. Couple questions, is this something anyone else has dealt with, is this supposed to over flow out of the spout and what can I do to keep if from happening again. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
that has happened to several people I know. I dont know why. THe trans coolers in the 7.3 is small to begin with. You can do a 6.0 cooler in it as a mod(much larger, bolts right it..
I would change the fluid and filter soon.(add a new cooler if you can)
Old 08-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks alot for the help. Does it matter what year of 6.0 I look at for the part or is there a specific part number. Would this be something I could get from a salvage yard?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No, all the 6.0s, 03 thru 07 will work. I would not want used, incase there garbage in it. What if the trans was going bad an theres debree in a used one. "diesel site" sells some aftermarket ones. Check some of the venders here.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
Used are ok if you flush it out with some brake clean and lots of water before you use it
Old 08-25-2010, 05:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Listen to these guys for the 6.0 cooler! I didn't & went with the largest B&M cooler that has a fan, didn't really fit that great & it's not nearly the size of the 6.0 cooler. It was less $ (New vs New), but as I was installing it, I was wishing I went with the 6.0. Not only was the B&M not a bolt in (like the 6.0) But I had to wire the thermostat switch off an ignition 12V+, and since I don't like wiring fans direct to the switch, I to wire in a relay as well.

My stock 7.3 cooler was caked with mud on most of it, and by the short amount I've driven it since installing the B&M it seems as though it was clogged internally as well.

Guess we'll see how the B&M does next weekend pulling the toy hauler..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.