Lost Drive, but have Reverse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lost Drive, but have Reverse

I did a bunch of searching and found a few with a similar problem, but never a for sure solution, so here goes.

I have a '99 F-350 that has a tranny problem. It has reverse, but not drive. Stopped to unload some stuff, put it in P without shutting off the truck, got back in, put it in D and truck wouldn't move. Tried 2 and 1 and same thing. Put it in R and it acts completely normal. Got out and checked fluid....levels good, colors good, and doesn't smell burnt. Got back in tried it again. Revved it way up in D and it tried to creep forward. Revved it way up in 1 and it started to creep and after a few seconds took off almost like normal, but still won't do anything but try to creep in D or 2.

Tranny has about 30k on a full rebuild and has shown no signs of problems. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 04:21 PM

you need a tranny job fro whatever reason sometimes you get to keep reverse werid i know i just went ahead and got a new tranny it was cheaper i got it from coleman transmissions google them and it should bring them up i got my tranny for $1200
Old 08-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I should also mention that the OD light is not flashing and the CEL is not coming on. I checked for codes and there wasn't any.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Banned

It could be forward clutch feed bolt is loose. You should pressure test it.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

take it to a tranny shop, most will diagnose for free.

an "honest" shop that is
Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Check center support bolts they like to come loose. Time consuming to do but If you do it yourself there is not alot of cost involved.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for ideas. I live 60 miles from a honest tranny shop. I also don't want to have them diagnose it and find out it is something I can fix myself. I doubt they would appreciate me loading it back up and taking it home.

Is there an easy way to pressure test it? I am very mechanical and understand every part of my truck, besides the automatic transmission. I have never taken the time to learn how they work. Is there anywhere I can find a write up on how to check the forward clutch feed bolt and center support bolts?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 PM

Look at my posts or the other 2 guys in this thread with actual advice (fordnutz and JJR). Some get lucky and others dont. I am going through same thing right now but for some wack job to diagnose my problem and fix it for 800$ minimum is ridiculous. Reman'd trannies are 1000$ in my area and then another 300$ for install. I took my valve bodies apart to check my feed bolts and they were fine. I learned a lot about my tranny just from that but I dont feel comfortable rebuilding it myself.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Ok so got my tranny replaced this weekend and it was completely shot but the transmission is not what killed itself. The PCM is what went bad and just would not let the transmission shift properly. It needed to be reflashed by the dealer and Ford said if it would of been caught early enough it wouldnt of killed the tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.