Bad tranny or torque converter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad tranny or torque converter?

I have a early 99 with 93,000 miles on it. Truck just started having tranny issue. Truck still shifts good and firm most of the time but I'll be driving and get a double shudder and then it acts like it is slipping in 3rd and overdrive or won't shift in od. Turning od off makes it worse and the engine just seems to rev to 3000 rpm where it kind of catches. Stop put it in reverse and it still kind of slips until it shudders or clunks again then every thing is normal again with good firm shifts until it clunks again. I am thinking something in the torque converter is letting loose. What do you guys think? It also sometimes clunks in reverse on first startup. Tranny does not run above 180 degrees and fluid is still red but like I said it just stared doing this but seems to be doing it more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 05:47 AM

morning bump. Also truck shows no codes.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Drained little bit of fluid out of torque converter and tranny pan. Has a metal smell and a backend red tint now. Truck also has a noise at idle that sounds like a secada or locust bug but goes away when you touch the throttle in gear.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
My money is on tqc replace it before shavings go through the rest of the tranny
Old 08-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR View Post
I have a early 99 with 93,000 miles on it. Truck just started having tranny issue. Truck still shifts good and firm most of the time but I'll be driving and get a double shudder and then it acts like it is slipping in 3rd and overdrive or won't shift in od. Turning od off makes it worse and the engine just seems to rev to 3000 rpm where it kind of catches. Stop put it in reverse and it still kind of slips until it shudders or clunks again then every thing is normal again with good firm shifts until it clunks again. I am thinking something in the torque converter is letting loose. What do you guys think? It also sometimes clunks in reverse on first startup. Tranny does not run above 180 degrees and fluid is still red but like I said it just stared doing this but seems to be doing it more often.
im sorry pal but get ready to purchase new transmission. either way. Once it gets to that point of limping home it is shot 9.99 times out of 10. I put two autos in mine before swapping to manual.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:42 PM

Been doing some research and would like to check center support bolts. don't exactly know what to take apart to do this. I know it is up in the valve body some where. Any one done this and have pics or just a good description, things to look out for? thanks.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:07 PM

The noise at idle is for sure tc. The shifting problems are probably from metal from tc getting into valve body. Don't worry about the feed bolts. Not your problem and too far into the trans to worry with.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Well finished putting trans back together today. Special thanks to Fordnutz for giving me some pointers. No more noise or shift problems. Everything in trans was pretty clean so I felt good about the clutches. Hardest part was popping the solenoid pack out (dang that o-ring was stuck). Center support bolts were not finger loose but did take a full turn to reach spec. After this I pulled them out cleaned them real good and applied loc-tite and retorqed. Flushed all fluid and so far so good. Pretty easy process and seemed to pay off.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 AM

hey can I ask what manual you used to put the valve bodies back together? Specifically the check balls. If you can post up a link or just tell me what to look for. I have my valve bodies off but need to check my feed bolts today when I get home. So does your tranny work now?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Works great so far. Pm semt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.