NEED HELP FAST!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEED HELP FAST!!

I have a 2001 f250 with all original trans and converter... For a while now i have been having issues with the torque converter but they are getting worse now... Everytime i drive it it will drive and run fine but all of the sudden usually after i stop after driving 10 plus miles i will come to a stop and it seems like something isnt disengaging. when i come to a stop it will keep jumping forward with high rpm's with a grinding noise and the light on the shifter will blink.i will shut truck off and sometimes it will be fine and then start doing it again down the road...also when i put it in reverse it sticks and does the same thing.do i need a new converter?new fluid and filter?also now having trouble shifting from 1st to second and a really hard time shifting into overdrive but only sometimes. this is reall making me mad and i need help cause i am low on money right now...and after locking up i will shut truck off and it will make a grinding sound right before shutting off all the way.thanks for any help and sorry for long post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhall55 View Post
I have a 2001 f250 with all original trans and converter... For a while now i have been having issues with the torque converter but they are getting worse now... Everytime i drive it it will drive and run fine but all of the sudden usually after i stop after driving 10 plus miles i will come to a stop and it seems like something isnt disengaging. when i come to a stop it will keep jumping forward with high rpm's with a grinding noise and the light on the shifter will blink.i will shut truck off and sometimes it will be fine and then start doing it again down the road...also when i put it in reverse it sticks and does the same thing.do i need a new converter?new fluid and filter?also now having trouble shifting from 1st to second and a really hard time shifting into overdrive but only sometimes. this is reall making me mad and i need help cause i am low on money right now...and after locking up i will shut truck off and it will make a grinding sound right before shutting off all the way.thanks for any help and sorry for long post
It definately sounds like the trans is going to have to be removed and torn down. The converter can cause it to jump like you stated but the grinding noise is most likely internal. How many miles on everything? Trans. been serviced regularly?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well the trans seems to be fine... the gringing is def coming from converter... yeah it was serviced like 3k ago with no probs,when not sticking or grinding everything is more than good,idk
Old 07-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
well the trans seems to be fine... the gringing is def coming from converter... yeah it was serviced like 3k ago with no probs,when not sticking or grinding everything is more than good,idk
I'm not sure either but I would think that the grinding would create metal shavings that would make it through the entire trans. and cause damage.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah i know,i should drop pan and see if their is any shavings,and recently every once in a while the gas pedal with give out and ill get a check engine light for a split second and then it will go off and ill get fuel bac,would that hve anything to do with it?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
yeah i know,i should drop pan and see if their is any shavings,and recently every once in a while the gas pedal with give out and ill get a check engine light for a split second and then it will go off and ill get fuel bac,would that hve anything to do with it?
Like you lose throttle response? That is more than likely the TPS (throttle position sensor) which is part of the throttle pedal itself.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oh really?so u dont think that has anything to do with tc?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
oh really?so u dont think that has anything to do with tc?
Not if it loses throttle response. Only way to know would be check and see if there is a TPS code stored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.