Beyond dissapointed..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beyond dissapointed.....

Welp, after 11 years behind the wheel of dodge, i decided i was going to "step up" and get an excursion i've been wanting..... Needless to say my first time in a ford didn't last 24 hours... and i was left back in a dodge, saving my rear and my career by getting me back by monday from work.... Seriously not happy... Drove the first 14 hours fine, parked for the night, woke up, and didnt make it 100 miles before the tranny started creeping up to the 210-220 mark... I dropped it off at a shop i've always trusted to try and diagnose it.... It doesn't slip or anything.... can drive it at 70 if i wanted, just for only 15 min... just overheats and pukes fluid out of the dust cover.... needless to say a "fun" trip turned into a nightmare.... not to mention i have about 18-19k invested in a yard ornament now...

anyone have any ideas on this? Oh, and something to add, it makes a weird noise around 20 mph since it got warm, almost like an electric motor has been wound up and is free-spinning...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
YOu flew out to california? Started driving home? Where did you get the dodge?
Tranny may have a clogged cooler??
Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 AM

put an apb out on the cumminsforum.... member on there came get me and drug me home...

And yes, i picked it up in cali.... not sure n the tranny cooler being clogged, based on the fact sitting in neutral it would still cool at a pretty constant and steady rate... IMO it wouldnt cool at all fast if it were clogged correct?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM

any chance the tc is staying locked? I guess, you would feel that in drive and not moving.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
any chance the tc is staying locked? I guess, you would feel that in drive and not moving.
if the TC was staying locked it should kill the motor IMO.... not really positive tho.... i know thats how it was when i hit the lockup switch on dodge at a red light on accident!...
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM

yes thats what it would do.
I am not sure what would cause overheating. Have you looked at the cooler and made sure its not totally full of dirt or debree clogging the air passages? The factory cooler is not good enough especially with heavy loads going slow. These tranny will overheat.
But not towing on the freeway it should be fine unless its filled with dirt.
I am assuming the radiator is full and the engine is at normal temps?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM

yep.... all other diagnostics with the truck are perfect.... cant figure out why it would fo 14 perfect hours... then crap out first thing next morning... there is absolutely nothing caught up in the grill or any of the coolers... Mechanic is supposed to hook up to the truck tomorrow and take it for a drive to look for out of ordinary parameters...
Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Something is slipping. At highway speeds with no load your tranny should never overheart even if the tranny cooler isnt doing its job. You should be on OD and the torque converter should be locked. To cause abnormal heat something is slipping, be it the torque convertor or the clutches.
Just like you, I would be pissed if I just bought a new to me vehicle and had issues. Give it time and you will love the new X. Being a previous Dodge owner, you should know a thing or tow about weak trannys! lol
Old 07-12-2010, 10:59 AM

could it be a possible "quick" fix job?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
Something is slipping. At highway speeds with no load your tranny should never overheart even if the tranny cooler isnt doing its job. You should be on OD and the torque converter should be locked. To cause abnormal heat something is slipping, be it the torque convertor or the clutches.
Just like you, I would be pissed if I just bought a new to me vehicle and had issues. Give it time and you will love the new X. Being a previous Dodge owner, you should know a thing or tow about weak trannys! lol
dont get me wrong, i love the truck... And you know... this isnt showing me the ford trannies are worth a crap either, like i said, dodge always made it home... and i put them through hell... this was with the cruise set...

And the tq was still locking, and to me nothing felt any different then the day before driving wise... just was getting hot.. still shifts fine, no herky jerky or nothing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.