trannie pumped 12 qts out, why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trannie pumped 12 qts out, why?

I have a 99 250 4x4 7.3... guessing it has 4r100 trans.... about 3 weeks ago I was 4hrs into a 10 hr trip home from working in Kentucky, when I ran into bumper to bumper traffic on I-24 because of the sinkhole there. For 2 hrs all I could do was let off the brake then step on it again. I finally made it to the detour only for my trans to start slipping. Ifinally found some farmers haying a field and decided that was a good place to break down. I checked my trans fluid and there was nothing on the stick. The farmers towed my truck to their barn and gave me a ride back to the interstate to a hotel, there was nothing around where I was broke down, just got lucky to find good people. Anyhow, after a couple of phone calls that night A friend told me he had heard that if these trans get too hot they'll pump the fluid out. The next morning the same farmer come and picked me up and put 3 gallons of fluid in my truckand it worked fine. Happily I made it home. Now to the present: even though I never understood why my trans pumped that fluid out everything has been working fine since. This weekend I took a 2.5 hr trip to the coast to do the tourist thing, I drove around downtown in circles quite a few times in bumper to bumper traffic until I found a parking spot, still no troubles. Next day I was at the beach in the same kind of traffic, no troubles. Next day I went to the beach , no troubles until I was literally 5 miles from the interstate getting ready to come back home when my trannie started slipping again. I pulled into an autoparts store expecting it to need fluid but all was full and nice pink color. I found a nice shady spot at a church and stayed there until just before dark to let the trans cool off and let rush hour traffic die down. When I got ready to leave the trans shifted fine, fortunately I hit almost all red lights perfectly and made it to within 1/2 mile of the interstate. The last red light caught me , as I pulled off from it the trans was slipping slightly but I made it onto the interstate. Everything was fine at speed so I decided to take the risk and come home. Halfway back I stopped to fuel up and the trans pulled fine but when I made it home and had to drive in red light traffic again it started slipping. I've been doing alot of searching on this site and a few others today and have found a few possible causes, torque convertor, bypass valve, I'm not really sure. My od light is not flashing so I'm assuming I have no codes. Anyone with any ideas thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no one can help? I don't throw parts at problems, would prefer a little help diagnosing this.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You might not have signs of codes (ie. flashing od, or CEL) but a good scanner will pick up codes and you can start from there. If you can fork the cash...$360 for a Autoenginuity will be your best bet probably. If not call around and see if you can find someone to scan your truck for you. The dealership will charge atleast $90 to just read a code. Someone will chime in soon man, but most will tell you to get it scanned.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate the reply. I've driven around town a couple of times the past couple of days with no problem, seems strange to me. Guess I'll have to find someplace reasonable to scan it for me. Living on my government check right now so money is kinda tight. Real scared of this trans right now.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i had a similar problem happen with a 91 f-150 with a 351 with an eod trans(from what i understand the 4r100 is based off of) but my issue was slightly different, mine would puke after a long drive on the highway which turned out to be the rear planetary seizing caused by a lube hole that was supposed to be to be drilled out as per a tsb but never was, anyway it would do it after getting hot, my guess is that your trans has a minor slip which you may not be noticing in first gear but is enought that in stop and go traffic is producing more heat than the trans cooler can get rid of and cause more slipping and eventually puking, check your trans cooler first but it sounds like you may be looking at replacing your tranny
Old 07-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

you mention I 24 in Ky. Where do you live? I know a great trans place in Franklin, Tn.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was coming home from Owensboro, Kentucky: I live in South Carolina. I broke down in Manchester,TN. Anyhow, I don't know why I haven't tried this until now(brainfart I guess) but when I manually put my trans in first gear it pulls great. I put it back in drive and it slips like crazy. when I try to put it inbetween drive and 2 I can find a spot it goes in drive and pulls great. I looked at the shifter lever on trans and also on column under the dash and didn't see a place to adjust the cable. How is this done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.