Transmission dumped! very scaried NOW! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Transmission dumped! very scaried NOW!

hey folks,
New Ford PSD owner here,
I'm for a little en site as what to do with the transmission issues. Family and I went camping this weekend and we made at all the way to the campground (3.5 hour) started to back the camper into the spot. I lost traction due to an incline and rocks, and I locked the hubs in and put truck in 4x4. While backing the truck up a fellow camper told me that the truck was leaking. There was a small whining noise think it was the power steering. I quickly park the camper. Then I shut the truck down for the day. Very short before getting to the campground we had a pretty steep hill to climb. The hill was roughly 1.75 miles long with a grade of 7% to 10% grade. I did place the transmission in number 2 and climbed hill at 18 to 20 MPH. One mistake that I made was that when I got to the campground I shut the truck down right away. I should of let the fluids continue to move thought the motor and cooler. The next day I looked into the issue. and found that the transmission fluid was low. I had a my father bring me 18 Quarts to Mercon trans fluid. When he got there we ended up adding 3.5 Quarts. The fluid color is a slight brown or Dark Pink. After we got the fluid to the correct level. I took the truck for a drive. The transmission seemed to be function correctly. The shift point seemed to be normal. The next morning we went for a drive to town about a 5 miles away. returned to campground shutting the truck down for an hour or so. then loaded the fishing stuff. drove less then 1 mile. when it was time to go home. i let the truck idle for a min. then placed the truck in Drive. The motor wanted to stall out. put the truck back in Neutral. the idle came back to normal. put the truck back in drive. the truck wanted to stall again. this time i let the truck idle for a min. then placed the truck in drive. this time it seemed to be fine. Upon the return to the camp site, I recheck the fluids all were ok except the trans. it was now on the high side of hot. but the transmission was not at normal operation conditions. then Return trip home. the transmission and truck operated normal. We stopped every roughly every 60 mile to allow the kids and truck to have a break. then truck was never shutdown till we got home. 5 hours later.I plan to change trans fluid and filter. any other recommendations? What fluid Mercon or Mercon V. i don't know what is currently. we added regular mercon ATF. The Fluid seemed to be coming from bell housing area when the leaked earlier. checked trans cooler line to cooler. no defect noted. any ideas as to what to do and look for? there were no other noises noted at any time of this incident. Gauges were installed today!

Note: The trailer that we were pulling is 30' nomad travel trailer approx. 5500LBS no More then 7700LBS. with a functional braking system.
Note: Trans type is PRB-AY think its an 4R100
Note: Code prior to this were none
NOTE: Code now are 0603 Powertrain Control Module Keep Alive Mermory (KAM) Error and P0720 Output Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
it sounds like it got pretty hot i bet you have some damage.. these trannys get real hot backing up so you gotta take it easy, and you doing incline probably cooked somethin...
Old 07-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 02 did the same thing after pulling 41ft 5th wheel 230 miles and then trying several time to backup a grade into my drive. noticed trail of fluid in drive. tranny temp gage over 270 so just parked until next morning and backed in with no trouble. talked to my tranny man and he said Fords trannys were bad about puking fluid out when hot and in reverse. I never kill my engine until exhaust cools under 425 degrees.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well Ive just had a rebuild as I lost drive on my trans. It did start stalling in reverse first then eventually died. I pull 95% of the time & all over Europe up very very steep hills sometimes. Big Boats & my 36ft 5th wheel car hauler/camper. Ive just bought 2 new oil coolers see thread http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-...all-drive.html The guy that did the trany rebuild told me to disconect the cooler in the rad. Although a guy on here replied to my thread saying that the atf goes through the rad to heat it not cool it.. Anybody know about that? The guy that did the trany rebuild told me it was a bad idea to leave the radiator cooler inline because the core can fracture & then you end up with water/antifreeze in your trans. It just cost me 3,200 for the rebuild & the 2 new coolers so I really dont want anymore problems.
O & he also told me to buy MERCON V as its the best. It is more expensive though. I just bought enough for my trans & transfer box & it cost me 156.00 !!
If your fluid is black or dark grey then the chances are your clutches are wearing dude.
Not sure about the leak as mine didn't do that..
Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: Thanks for the info. the trans seems to be functioning correctly. it has not slipped or indication that there might be something wrong with it. i think that the fluid just got to hot and found a weak seal at the torque convertor. i have change the filter and fluid to include drain the convertor. Code for 603 error still there even after removing power for a few days. thanks again for all your helps folks

Last edited by firemen2709; 07-21-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added code to message
Old 08-06-2010, 05:52 PM

The ford tranny does like to get hot in reverse and on a incline is common to purge out of the vent line. Torque converter seal also likes to leak. You did the right thing by changing fluid and adding a guage. Keep an eye on the temps the factory coolers on these trucks are significantly undersized. I would recomend upgrading yours.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE: About a week ago I dropped the tranny out of the truck and replaced the torque convertor seal. and guess what the damn thing still leaks. i think that i blow the pump gasket out. The question is: I called my local trans shop they want 1900 to rebuilt trans Not a Swap. (Warranty is 12 month or 12,000 miles). I priced the same Tranny from autozone $1900 + Core (3 years warranty no mileage). Has anyone had any good luck with the zone Transmissions.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

I had no idea Autozone sold automatics. I wonder who builds them. I see the one in my town sales rebuild kits.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Stay away from Zone transmissions!!! No other comment. OK , I will. They bid out to the lowest bidder to build eng and trannies for them. When they start getting too many comebacks from one co, they'll switch to another and all the old co warranties are,, "I'm sorry, that co is out of business""...
Fireman, what was the color of that seal you installed. ???
Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The seal is a light tan color. The seal appeared to be a match. the one i pulled out was a ford part. The Seal was a Timken seal. I'm planning on using Marlton trans in NJ. they did work for me in the past. I will be challenging them as to what part are going to be replaced. They want 1900 for the job complete. seems very cheap thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.