Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bully dog shift kit 151000 DIDN'T DO ANYTHING

9K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  E.G. Gallagher 
#1 · (Edited)
I installed a bully dog shift kit (151000) and my 96 F350 doesnt seem to do anything different. Once in a while the converter will lock a little harder, but thats all
The instructions seem simple enought, They say to remove valve body, replace acuator with new one, did that.
Then is about the three valves, "REMOVE PLUGS AND PLACE NEW BULLY DOG SPRINGS INSIDE OF OLD SPRINGS". Problem is, old springs had 3 springs inside of them. Bully dog springs will fit inside the largest ORGINAL spring, replacing the second largest ORGINAL spring which gets set aside. What about the TWO other orginal smaller springs???
Bullly dog Tech played telephone with me through 3 other people and told me to put all orginal springs inside the new bully dog springs. Problem is, only the smallest spring will fit inside. That leaves two Orginal middle springs left, because they dont fit inside the Bullydog spring.
ANYONE BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE, AND HOW DOES YOUR TRUCK SHIFT????? THANKS!!!!!!!

#2 ·
i did the bully dog kit. not much diffrence. you might look into the trans-go kit and compare it's content's to what the b-dog kit has. it might do the same thing but in a diffrent way (no spring's). i don't know. and there are time's, under really hard accel. with my chip turned up it shift's REAL hard and i don't care for it.

#4 ·
i had spring's, a replacement piston and had to drill two hole's in the body. i used everything in the kit.

#5 ·
my kit didn't ask to drill anything. only install 3 springs (shove old springs inside new springs) and install new acuator valve. I did everything the directions asked. maybe the bully dog shift "enhancer" is not soposed to make it hit the gears as hard as the "shift kits" that i have installed in my gas C-6's. With the torque of the 7.3, i guess i was hopeing for it to maybe squawk the tires a little going into second gear. Maybe im asking too much. Thanks for the imput!!

#7 ·
what kind of shifting should i expect from this bully dog kit or the possibly arlready installed transgo kit? I belive the truck to be all stock when i purchased it. It sure seemed to shift like what i would expect a stock truck to shift like, but this is my first diesel

#9 ·
I think you already had some sort of kit in there. I did a sonnax before my transgo, and there were only the large sorings. When we did the transgo tugger, there are now 3 springs in each. Hope this helps.

#10 ·
Shifting in now GREAT!!

Thanks you guys, I hadn't thought of there being other than stock springs already installed. My friend at a Ford Garage in Red Wing gave me a stock valve body. I installed the stock springs and my bully dog kit and now it shifts awsome!!!

:gun:
:clap:

#12 ·
So after reading this and it got me to think. My 2002 psd have DP Tuner and it sure shift hard and only run in 80hp economy mode. On that mode, my transmission shift real hard. So if i buy that shift kit from bully dog, will it help shift better or will it shift harder? I'm about to order one soon and would like to know if it worth it to buy. Because I really need transmission flush and plan put new filter, so that why I want do everything at once.

#14 ·
A "shift kit" usually makes the trans shift quicker and firmer with less slipping of the clutches. That's what you want. If you do a shift kit, get new tunes written for the new hardware.
Personally, I'd do a valve body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.