Did I toast my tranny? 99 F250 7.3 4r100 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did I toast my tranny? 99 F250 7.3 4r100

By my instruction, my wife was following me up to camp (I was driving a bus w/ 40 kids) in our 99 F250 7.3 w/ 104K on it. She was pulling a 14' trailer w/ a quad and some luggage (probably @ 1500 lbs total). Anyways, about 40 miles into the trip (uphill all the way, with hill climbs at @ 10-20 mph because of the bus) the tranny overheated, and @ 10 quarts of fluid "escaped" from the tranny. I had it towed home, and then when I returned from camp, I replaced the fluid, and I've been driving it for the last 3 days. The only thing different that the tranny does now is kind of slam into 1st gear- and only when I goose it. If I just ease into it, the tranny is smooth. It doesn't slip in any of the gears. Is this a repairable problem, or do I need a complete rebuild??

Also, anyone hear of Charles Farland in Olivehurst, CA? He says he's been rebuilding trannys for 30 years.

Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My wifes truck is an early 99, I mention this because the tranny fluid goes thru a real small trans cooler and does not even go thru the radiator. Not that the radiator is much help but some of the 99's have a real small cooler. Actually all the 7.3 trucks came with small coolers. (I believe) But my 01 goes thru the radiator too. My wifes coworker had the trans dump all its fluid out twice(also early 99) But 50k later it still works. MAybe give it a fluid and filter change and get a trans cooler from a 6.0 truck?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was wondering about the transmission cooling system... I can see a cooler that is behind the first radiator (I assume the first radiator is the a/c radiator). It sits low... It is about 4 inches tall and about 30 inches long. I guess this is it????? It doesn't seem like much of a cooler. And like I said, my wife was going pretty slow... So, an aftermarket from a 6.0 would be better? Does it bolt right up?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

that is the power steering fluid cooler I think, the one behind the license plate. the trans cooler is behind the radiator down low. A after market or a 6 liter trans cooler would be a great up grade for your truck and I believe it does bolt in. Do a google search for it. Its a popular up grade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.