Overdrive Shifting? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Overdrive Shifting?

Just some questions from a newer PSD owner.

First question. The truck shifts great 1-3. When shifting into overdrive around 38-42 MPH it seems to lunge into gear. If my foot is in it a little bit and it shifts above about 45-48 MPH it is a clean shift. Just seems to shift a little lazy at low speeds.

Second question. While cruising in overdrive and at low speed the transmission down shifts into 3rd on its own if I let off the throttle. For example: If I am cruising along at around 65 MPH and the traffic in front of me slows, I let off the throttle and coast, when I get back into the throttle traveling at 45-50 MPH the trany will down shift and quickly up-shift back to overdrive. This is under light throttle, I'm not stabbing it making it down shift. If I am traveling above 60 MPH the trany will hold overdrive no problem. But if I let off the throttle at low speeds (45-50 MPH) the trany wants to down shift every time, but will quickly up-shift back into overdrive. Why does it do this? Is it normal?

To me, I would think the trany would hold in overdrive as long as I ease back into the throttle after letting off. Trany shift and pulls great other wise. The truck is pretty much stock with 165K on it. All help is appreciated. Sorry for the long read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bump. I'm having the same issue after switching tuners. My trans was already acting up previously, giving me hard shifts from D to OD. I was running stock SCT tunes on my 01 7.3 4x4, then switched to 80 econ from DP tuner(which is awesome!). I think the variance in line pressures made my already troubled stock tranny even worse.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It sounds like the trans is shifting into od too early. Probably a bad or misadjusted FIPL, fuel injection pressure lever.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

HELLO, i hope this is not the answer butttt.....mine started doing this about two mths ago, i thought it was the chip i had in, so i switched chips and it calmed the issue down but did not cure it, two weeks later the symtoms got worse, it would do it consistently under a load (accelerating or climbing a hill) but only between the speed of 45-55 mph range , give or take a few mph's, two more weeks after checking with the trans shop, no codes came up and they said the od light would start to flash if the trans had a problem, but the problem is there, two weeks later we decided to go test one of the race cars, i decided i was going to take the small open trailer instead of the 40 ft fifth wheel i usually use, just in case the truck broke , a freind could pull the small trailer back, and the truck could be towed back to my shop,, well this time i only had a few in and out of od's then the od light started flashing on a long hill and now i knew something was up. i was able to tow home without the od light flashing and my next stop was back to the dealer to have them check it out, they said the trans went into safe mode and is probrably smoked now, i checked the fluid (synthetic) and sure enough burnt brown. but i can still drive it. two weeks later the tc started to make a growling noise when in od if i tried to accelerate too hard. two make a long story short i am not sure which one it is the trans or tc, but you should have someone qualified to look at it. i am changing both the trans and tc next weekend, good luck to you and keep me posted.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I recently bought a 99 F350 and my transmission does the same thing. Lunges into OD but will not shift into OD below 50 mph. It kills the fuel mileage if I am driving in light traffic at 48 mph! I have it tuned with edge and have tried it in the 60 and 80 hp settings and stock as well. Seems to be a little better at the 80 hp setting. No codes yet. Fluid looks and smells okay. Any thoughts?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Emergency Services

Is everybody sure it's the shift into O/D and not the converter locking up? Mine does it too, but I think it's the converter locking up. To the OP, I don't think it's downshifting into 3rd when you left off. I'd say it's the converter unlocking.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

, i am at a crossroads my self, i think my trans is fine and the TC is bad. i guess i am still tring to talk myself into changing both or just the tc, i hate to install a new tc which would be my thrid (first one cracked and started to leak)-(now this makes a noise under a load and i think is the in-out of od issue), and not solve the problem, does anyone else feel like there truck does not want to coast, even in neutral? this truck just seems like it has a anchor attached to it, like it cannot roll free, i was going down a hill this morning about 28 degree decline for abou a 3/4 mile and i actually lost speed in neutral, (new calipers and brakes about 300 miles ago) i am wondering if my tc is staying locked up , even in neutral. i'll keep everyone posted on what i change to see if i cure my issue with this growling noise at 45-55 and in and out of od issue. please do the same , i have read about a hundred posts and no-one seems to follow up on what the fix was.

Last edited by aktive1; 10-18-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old 11-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

QUICK FOLLOW UP SO FAR, i had some time 3 weeks ago, so i pulled the pan to look for debris, you could not ask for a cleaner trans, i had very little material in the bottom of the pan, about a teaspoon full, if that,. i also strained the fluid with a paint strainer and nothing at all, exceprt fot some grayish almost like anti seize material in the strainer. well after changing the fluid the shuddering noise under a load in OD went away for the LAST FEW WEEKS but now i can here it again. i am wonerimg if its just the TC thats bad again. any ideas?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 96 F250 shifts through the gears great until it goes into 4th. It goes from 4th to OD instantly. If I'm using more accelerator it shifts fine from 4th to OD. Seems like some sort of adjustment. Any ideas?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke Junkie!!!

Hey guys i'm having the same issue. It ended up being the solenoid pack. I changed that and the problem went away for a while. it is back but not as bad. Been doing some more research and it is a possiblity of a bad ground in the pigtail going to the solenoid pack. Also another possible solution is to check fuse 23 in the central junction box as well. I am going to try to check this in the next day or so. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.