Lost all drive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lost all drive

I think I know the answer here but any help would be great guys.

Over the last two weeks my 1st to 2nd shift has been really lame. It has taken ages to shift up. Last night I lost all drive. I sat at the bottom of my driveway for ages trying to back up onto my drive. Eventually it went into reverse.
I noticed on the way home last night I could hear a noise as I drove. It sounded like a loss of air. I do get excess boost out of my airfilter as I run on stage 3 on my Hyperpac, but it didnt sound like it was excess boost, also I wasnt towing or going up hill or even eccelerating hard.
THis morning I looked to see if there was a vacume hose anywhere that might of split, but it all seems to be electronic.
I have no drive at all. No forward or reverse gears! Nothing!

I reved up in drive a little & eventually the truck went into gear, then I tried revers & it did engage. I put it in park & tried again & nothing.

I changed the ATF about 2 or 3 months ago. I checked it & it was upto the level. It is slightly black though & yes it does smell a little burnt.
I just called a place here in England that works on these trucks & they say I need a trans rebuild. I guess you will all agree. As usual this couldn't of happened at a worse time. Its been quiet for the last 2 weeks & now I have work to do the trans dies!!

I was hoping for a quick fix or a miricle I guess. A rebuild is going to cost about 1600 so Im in some pain right now

Any thoughts on this would be great guys.....

O btw I tow 90% of the time Im driving my truck. I have a 36 ft 5th wheel, a 32 ft boat trailer & a 20 ft car trailer so the truck does work quite hard.

O yea also I got these codes today:
PO733 gear 3 incorrect ratio
PO381 glow plug/heater indicator circuit
PO603 internal control module keep alive memory (kam) error
PO781 1-2 shift
PO732 gear 2 incorrect ratio

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 06-10-2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: added some info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 09:09 AM

I put some more ATF in earlier to see if it would make a difference, but no such luck. I think im putting off the obvious...
The noise I thought was air escaping is a noise actually coming from the gearbox. it sounds a bit like a srcaping noise.
A place can take my trans out next week & send it off for a rebuild or I can take it to another place near me, but Im remembering a couple of guys on here telling me about a BTS trans.. How do I find out about those? Im wondering how quick I could get one sent here to England & how much it would be.....
Old 06-10-2010, 01:47 PM

I took my trans pan off today here are some pics of the trans magnet with quite a lot of crap stuck to it. Especialy as I cleaned it about 3 months ago when I changed the fluid.

I called BTS today & although their trans does sound very good they are $4300 which I think is just too much money really. I found a place on ebay selling rebuilt trans for $1550 well actually $950 with a trans to give them but I wouldn't be sending one from here..
Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Hi Guys, I just thought I would update this thread incase it helps anybody especialy in the UK. After lots of phone calls to the States & a few calls over here I decided on getting my 4R100 trans rebuilt over here. I found a place in East Sussex Home
I had 3 options here in the UK to get a rebuild. I went with this guy because even though he was the most expensive of the 3 options I liked the sound of him. Also I didn't want my truck that took me 3 years to get left outside a workshop by a main road while the trans was being rebuilt.

This guy said as a matter of course he does a few upgrades to the trans as he has found some weak points over the years.
He said that they have the back of the tourque converter machined flat, then weld a billet steel plate to it & machine that to the original shape to make it stronger
He also said he fits metal valves instead of plastic ones inside the trans somewhere.
He is fitting an upgraded valve body for an extra 120

I found out on Saturday (yesturday) that a clutch in my trans is an electric diode clutch which he said they only fitted in very few models. Apparently Ford thought this would be stronger, but went back to the free wheeling hub clutch or something, as the clutch plates are very hard to get hold of for this kind of clutch & the other sort is stronger anyway he is now converting it which means a delay for a delivery from the States & more expense. O well
I took the trans out including the transfer box on my own which was great fun

Now what's your take on this guys? The trans oil cooler is in my radiator & this guy tells me to disconect it & fit 2 oil coolers up front behind the grill. I bought 2 oil coolers from him & have started the mission of fitting them.
Have any of you done this?
He said it is a bad idea to use the cooler in the radiator incase of a fracture & water/anti freeze get into my trans & wrecks it.
My truck is a 2001 F350 7.3 I notice there is another cooler for the trans inbetween the aircon condenser & the intercooler. Anybody know if this is stock or if it must of been fitted afterwards?
This is the trans cooler lines into the rad.

This is where I'm going to fit the 2 coolers.

This is the coolers I'm fitting.

Any input from you guys would be great on this.
Also I've been told about a gadget that raises line pressure. I looked at some of the sponsors on here, although on that subject I'm very dissapointed that Dieselmannor won't deal with me because I live in the UK. That really sucks as I've had my eye on an Isapro performax gauge & pods set up for a while now. I was going to get all that but stuff keeps sucking money from me like a new trans!! Also I wanted their awesome tshirt with the chrome skull with stacks. Anyway I found this at XDP Banks Power TransCommand
Anybody have one? I'm not sure if they will deal with me or post to me here but I'm going to ask in a sec.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

The small cooler you found in between the others IS your stock cooler. The "cooler" built in to your radiator is not as much a cooler as it is a "heater" to warm the ATF up to the 150* or so required for it to function at its best.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 AM

o I see. So do you think I should leave it conected & just add the 2 coolers? The thing is I tow 95% of the time & I travel all over Europe so I can't take any chances on things going wrong.
This is a pic in the Austrian Alps.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 PM

Anybody using one of these?
Mag-Hytec E4OD/4R100 Transmission Pan
I notice one guy says "dont expect any temp decrese with this" which seems weird..
Old 07-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Another example of the size of things I haul.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Guys I could really do with some advise on the coolers please
Old 07-11-2010, 02:45 PM

Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.