A WARNING ABOUT LOCAL TRANSMISSION SHOPS AND 4R100 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A WARNING ABOUT LOCAL TRANSMISSION SHOPS AND 4R100

Transmission rebuilt on 2001 powerstroke at 60,000 miles due to diode otherwise was working great until then ....now at 65,000 after rebuild on a 250 4wd shortbed supercab powerstroke.

1. The transmision started out after the rebuild shifting a little funky so I put in some Lucas Transmisison conditioner.....6,000 miles ago on a fresh rebuild. Everyone I talked to said this is doubtful to have cuased any problems!

2. I replaced my leaking up pipes and fixed boost leaks on manifold side and cleaned exhuast back pressure tube and replaced EBP sensor ...MAP sensor and did the NAPA filter MOD with a Muffler delete....

3. The POWERPLANT is running awsome great boost plenty of power........

THE PROBLEM

1. The RPMS are swinging to MAX OVER 3,000 through gears 1-2-3 and seems to hang forever before 4th and overdrive locks in....

2. I flush the tranny installing 4 new gallons of DEX/MERC still slipping but I notice in the morning the tranny seems almost perfect solid lockup RPMS not to high thru the powerband as it shifts gear to gear all the way into 4th and lockup .....

3.After the tranny gets hot say in the 150's it seems to slip just as bad maybe worse 1-2-3 till 4th and lockup just not right and tranny temps are in the 185 one the interstate at 70 MPH 2,000 RPM ...which means a internal temp of 200 with an unloaded truck and that is normal?

B U L L ..........

OK I take it to the tranny shop that rebuildt it and he hooks up a SNAPON scan tool finds two codes ...lost of power code cuase I changed batterys and OVERBOOST cuase I took of actuator line from solenoid making it overboost after fixing up pipes and boost leaks ....

He then takes it on a test drive where he procedes to pussyfoot the throttle never getting more than 50% on it watched it live on the TPS readout on the snap on screen watched % lockup and temps and shift commander as well truck shift points are normal under light load and light throttle ....NO Sheet.....I kept my mouth shut becuase screaming does nothing so he basically is trying to avoid making the the truck slipp becuase anyone who pulls a 10,000 trailer has to hammer on it to get on the expressway and most do generally hotrod thier truck some ...

SO I leave the guys shop and as I do i tell him I will be in touch if anymore problems pop up lol.....I have 6,000 and 5 months left on the warranty. Which might as well be written on toilet paper the more I deal with this guy he is probabely 55 years old.

So I go to autozone and put in 2 pints of LUCAS SLIP FIX ......BOOM my tranny is maybe 60% better by the next day ....WTF anyway ...the tranny temps drop way down to say an average of 160 when hot and 140 just putting around town WTF this just shows me how F-ed up my tranny is and I am going to drain and flush with new fluid probably tonght or this weekend so when I take it to another local shop for a real test drive and diagnostic to verify what I already know....I will see what this guy says just for sheets and giggles...

I have already been in contact with suncoast-John woods-PATC and they all make great trannys but way outta my budget range and what I need most I will ever do is 60 hp tune and maybe tow a trailer a bit.

I basically have settled on Hudsonville Transmission in Michigan Owner operator is steve and if your not in the 5,000 tranny market this seems to be the place to go if you live around the ohio/tristate area been on the phone 3 seperate times picked his brain and discussed all the options the why's the why nots about big dollar tranny's he will warranty if the truck is chipped as long as the owner does maintenance and doesn't do anything retarded ...like try and tow up a mountain in 100hp tune setting and never back off as tranny temps rise over 220....He is supplying me a FREE loaner vehicle and to drive back home if I want but said job can be done in 2.5 days so I'm doing a thur/fri sat mini vacation in Michigan...never been cousin has a cabin just north of this guys shop what the hay

When I walked into this guys shop it was a mess he seemed basically knowledgeable and I took it at face value but I should have listened to my gut and left at the point I will find out once steve pulls apart tranny if he reused my torque converter and if he put in new frictions and steel like he should have. And god knows what else is dicked up maybe my case is screwed too if so I will sue him.

This will surely turn into a fun thread for all hope people can learn from my 2,000 dollar mistake with this guy....

the saga continues....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 05:55 AM
ARMY MOM!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to korg70kbc
ok, where r u?
subscribed
Old 05-12-2010, 06:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Give carl at redline diesel a call and see what he can do for you. Him and his wife are really good to work with and with the best pricing I have found around Ohio
Old 05-12-2010, 06:27 AM

Been there done that

I feel your pain man. I had 3 rebuilds in a year with countless complaints and time/money lost. Freaking clowns at aamco. After it was all said and done I could of had a fully built BTS. The only reason I didn't get one the first time was because it was just a bad time and I needed my truck on the road ASAP. If I would've known all the BS I was going to go through I would have just rented another truck and bought the BTS and come out cheaper.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Banned

Redline Pricing

Towmaster trannny = 3000.00 installed out the door
single disk torque converter

Heavyduty tranny = 4000.00 out the door
triple disk converter + better clutches

I will keep them in mind I have Hudsonville tranny out of MI willing to do it plus big cooler and change diff oil for like 2300.00 out the door with a good the new ford oem converter on the front end!

redline is 3.5 hour drive for me and hudsonville is 5.0 with a free loaner car...

I know unemployment rate in MI is close to 30% if they build a solid tranny that cheap I'd like to think of it as doing my own mini stimulus ......obaba doesn't seem to be doing much to help things! other than making more do nothing goverment jobs...and taking my taxes
Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott52575 View Post
Towmaster trannny = 3000.00 installed out the door
single disk torque converter

Heavyduty tranny = 4000.00 out the door
triple disk converter + better clutches

I will keep them in mind I have Hudsonville tranny out of MI willing to do it plus big cooler and change diff oil for like 2300.00 out the door with a good the new ford oem converter on the front end!

redline is 3.5 hour drive for me and hudsonville is 5.0 with a free loaner car...

I know unemployment rate in MI is close to 30% if they build a solid tranny that cheap I'd like to think of it as doing my own mini stimulus ......obaba doesn't seem to be doing much to help things! other than making more do nothing goverment jobs...and taking my taxes
There ya go. Not a bad way to look at it. Ohios is pretty bad too
Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Errrr... BTS and be the last tranny you ever buy for $4000...
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 PM

So did you get the trans from Hudsonville yet? If so, what are your impressions? and is he using a factory 7.3 or a 6.0 converter? If you have the choice, get the 6.0 installed. Im in in the market for a rebuild and have been looking at this thread and considering going there because im in NW Ohio.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

I am leaving on weds 5-26-2010 for michigan and will be dropping off the truck for a quickie WTF test drive and then leaving the truck with him and taking off in a loaner from him no charge ...I know my guy used a cheap parts and maybe did nothing to the clutches inside ect just replaced busted diode with update when Steve tells me this guy screwed me I am going to ask him to lay all the parts out in order and by function starting with torque converter and if he finds anything amiss IE no new clutch packs or worn out parts that were skipped that should have been done ...the rebuilder is in for some unfortunate events ...nuff said I think he used a cheap/wrong torque converter steve said if it is the brand he carries his supplier will take it back and steve will credit whatever the cost is off of my rebuild fee I basicaly just want to know wtf this guy did or didn't do ....

He is using the 6.0 converter and stock OEM parts for the rebuild ....all for 2000.00 I am also having him change DIFF grease and install a big tranny cooler as well ....

I am the guinea pig on this one guys I hope my crappy story has a happy ending and I have found a rebuilder for fellow 7.3 owners who is not charging AN ARM AND A LEG

Will keep you posted job will be done by SAT morning...
Old 05-25-2010, 10:26 PM

Sounds good, because i cant make up my mind with heading there or taking the trip to Arkansas to BTS. The lifetime warranty and bulletproof trans sounds awesome, but the $4300 price tag doesnt. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.