2001 7.3 supercrew tranny issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 7.3 supercrew tranny issue

HELP

I have a 2001 ford xlt lariet f250 super crew with 128,000 miles. I purchased this truck new and I do maintenance myself religiously. Tranny oil every 30,000 miles and so forth. Never been chipped and everything is completely factory. Yesterday I was out at the farm, it was muddy and I thought my four wheel drive was not working. Rpm went up, truck did not go. Backed up fine. When I realized the tranny was slipping I place it into low and made it back to the road (not slipping). Once on the road I placed it in drive and it would slip. I then placed it in low, got going and shifted to 2nd and then finally to drive. Got home, dropped the oil and filter, looked good, not burnt. I replaced the oil and truck seems to work fine today. The fact is I do not trust it. I have been doing research and it says this is a sign of the eol for the tranny. If I am going to replace it, research on the net tells me BTS or John Wood make the best rebuilds. The problem is that I am way up here in ND. I hate to trade as new are so expensive.

Do you think the tranny is on its last leg. Last week I got a new 32 foot trailer and pulled home a 14,000 tractor. Definitely the biggest load I have pulled. Maybe I over did it.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Banned

I recommend john woods BTS never returned my calls and John called back after 3 days but spent 45 mins on phone Brian is very young probably good mech just needs somone technical to answer phone but john has 37 years and truely knows these trucks and the trannies that move em if I had know his towmaster was 3700 I wouldn;t be looking for a technitian to tell me why my tranny with 6k on it needs to be fixed after a recent rebuild by a local shop slipping badly and getting hot with only my 215 lb *** as its payload if i tried to pull a 10k trailer it would be toast

John is not cheap nor bts but both build rock solid gear never seen one bad post yet

suncoast is called suntoast ..........recent post says they refused a warranty repair on a guy .......I would be warry just ask around take your time and don;t bite on first good deal I pissed away 2k and am pretty angry right now!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for your response. The truck seems to work fine for the past two days driving around town. I just do not want to be in the middle of Montana this summer pulling my camper and the tranny fails. After reading many of the posts it seems I am fortunate to get 128,000 miles on the original.

thanks again.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

mine did the same thing before the diode busted and lost 2nd gear acted goofy then juyst went to **** bang if you have a early 2001 you have the diode code on tranny tag will give date look it up on here or net and that code will tell you build date If you have a diode tranny you are on borrowed time like 60,000 miles ago depending on driving habits I beat on mine no burnouts just hard stop and start no trailers easy enough to find out just check tag they stopped production of tranny in middle of year to change design back at the ford tranny plant it was cuasing problems trucks coming back to dealers as fast as they were sold but people like me who never towed alot or beat them or chipped them got stuck once the 36,000 mile tranny warranty was out
Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tranny Tab

The tranny tag says the following
B6 1c3p-FB
PRB-GJ
BD-1F02

Does the build date mean built in February of 2002? My truck is a 2001, at least that is what the title says and I did buy it new??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.