Possible clutch slippage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possible clutch slippage?

Wooo.. first post on the .org

Been around powerstrokes and trucks quite a bit, just before I go crazy and start dumping money into this thing I figured I would start with bouncing ideas off people.

Clutch slippage as I am used to it has been in vehicles and try to do a burnout and the motor just revving throught the clutch, or hammering on it under load and then just free wheeling once it starts slipping.

So here is the story, 00 f250 7.3 with a 6 speed. has 147,xxx on it, just picked it up a couple of days ago, so not a lot of history yet!!! Threw a 6637 and a straight piped stock exhaust on it as soon as I got it. I can bang throught all the gears at WOT and this only happens in 5th as far as I can tell under plenty of runs so far. I can be in 5th and roll into WOT at around 1500 and boost comes on and it starts kickin arse. right around 2000 rpm it seems to kinda rev up a little faster then the speed is coming on then the rpm sorta hang for a second and the truck sorta lunges forward. It feels sorta like a automatic right after a shift, that sorta lung forward. This feels like clutch slippage to me, but the problem is, I smell nothing, and it wont pull throught it, it sorta does it then comes back down. Im wondering if its just sorta making LOTS of power then sorta unloading at a certain speed?

just looking for ideas..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 PM

ok, so it definately is going out, tried to launch a boosted takeoff in 2nd.. BLEW right throught the clutch to 3k rpm. time to save for a decent clutch.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Call beans.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 PM

checked out beans stuff and didnt really see anything that was reasonable for my uses. I doubt I will be hitting 300rwhp with what i will be running, just diy intake, muff delete and possibly a 100 horse tune to play in ever now and again, but mostly just a 60 eco tune. not a ton of towing either. mostly just blasting around with a sled deck on.

anyone have any experience with the valiar clutches?? looks like they got a dang good deal on a one rated at 400hp/900ftlbs.. the setup with bearings and tools is only $380. sounds like it should be more then enough as even if thats crank HP its within my powerband.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.