Transmission Temps HOT ? Slipping 2001 7.3 auto 3.73 rear end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Temps HOT ? Slipping 2001 7.3 auto 3.73 rear end

Truck

2001 F-250 supercab shortbed 4-wd 3.73 rear end and 275-75-R16 tires

so pretty mucbh bone stock.

MY egt's never go above 950 WOT under duration

I live in cincinnati last fall 2009 I had the transmission rebuilt due to the diode issue had him box up the busted hard parts to show me which I kept. The cost on the rebuild was lil over $2000.00 I felt like this was a good deal at the time ford wanted 3500.00 for a reman installed at the time.

I got the truck back and it shifted a lil stiff and I put in some B&M tranny conditioner or maybe it was lucas it was not the thick stuff it was red in color sold at autozone anyway my shifting seemed to smooth out no biggie....well I knew I had power/milage problems before hand and I had to replace the up-pipes with IH kit 3 weeks ago and some sensors clean back pressure tube ect all the simple stuff.

OK so I got my power and 18 psi of boost back and my engine is running right as rain ......

I installed a glowshift Boost/pyro/Tranny temp guage to help troubleshoot my exhuast leak/ turbo issues.

OK the problem my tranny is slipping gears 1 thru 3 seems like it hangs forever in passing gear and the shifts are all happening where they should they just take forever to get there and rpms are way up at 3,000 or more.

The tranny temps got as high as 185 with no load and no passenger just runing up and down the interstate hammering it here and there.

I took it to the shop that rebuilt it owner operator hooked up snap-on codce reader and saw overboost and battery codes which cleared I cuased both with new battery install and adjusting new turbo wastegate actuator.

So he drives it and he never takes the truck above 1/2 throttle it' shifts fine just like it always did but he never pushes the truck like you would getting on the inetrstate or pulling a load the entire time he test drives it I wanted to scream at one point but I kept my cool.

So I go home and dump 2 pints of lucas thick tranny additive into the tranny ....it starts to help immeadittely and tranny will chirp tires a little on hard takeoff....so tranny now stays under 160 even hammering on it.

So is the lucas just thickening up tranny fluid and helping mask a F-ED up tranny ???

If it gets up to 185 with no load how hot will it get towing a 10,000 lb trailer in the smokies ?> no way will this tranny last I have a few months and 5,000 miles left on the tranny warranty 12 month 12,000 mile

I have several theories and would like some feedback

I talked to john woods he said the additive i put in my have softened seals and stuff and made it slip damage done??? also if he made errors in assembly or didn't replace key hard parts that wear that could cuase these types of issues

I talked to steve at Hudsonville tranny in michigan and he said that addative should have not hurt anything atr all and it probably was never right

1. He only replaced the busted parts and threw it back together he said he put in a new torque converter.

2. I screwed it up with the addative?? doubtful.....

3. help by adding your two cents.

I am going to get with a couple guys that have the identical truck as mine and drive them and document rpm's shift points and how they feel so I can compare to my truck

I am going to flush out the trannyt fluid and put it back with just clean dex/merc fluid no addatives and see it starts slipping and heating up again

If this guy refuses to make this tranny right assuming it is his fault what are my options I know can I sue him and if I do what are the outcomes in the state of ohio ??? can I just get what i paid him or the cost of a new reman ford tranny at 3500.00 mat+labor ????

I will work with this guy but I won't be bull s h i tted period I knwo what I feel and see and tranny temp guage was 1 degree off from what this guys snap on read from the internal tranny temp sensor in the clutch pack.

HHHHHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.