Just bought truck.. plese, please help.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just bought truck.. plese, please help..

hey everyone, just bought a 2002 ford f-350 with 50,000 miles on it from an old man. It has a plow on it, I transported it back to my house with it on (200+ miles) no problems while running it. But I just took the plow off and when I put it into reverse, it started bucking and jerking.. I pulled forward again and it was fine, back into reverse and its fine.. I am extremely worried that it needs a tranny, what I'm reading here isnt setting my mind at ease.. the other gears shift perfect with no slipping.. I really find it hard to believe that it will need a transmission rebuild with such low mileage.. Needless to say, I will be very mad if it does and this old bastard didnt tell me it had problems.. Let me know what you guys think..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyvinny View Post
hey everyone, just bought a 2002 ford f-350 with 50,000 miles on it from an old man. It has a plow on it, I transported it back to my house with it on (200+ miles) no problems while running it. But I just took the plow off and when I put it into reverse, it started bucking and jerking.. I pulled forward again and it was fine, back into reverse and its fine.. I am extremely worried that it needs a tranny, what I'm reading here isnt setting my mind at ease.. the other gears shift perfect with no slipping.. I really find it hard to believe that it will need a transmission rebuild with such low mileage.. Needless to say, I will be very mad if it does and this old bastard didnt tell me it had problems.. Let me know what you guys think..

well, first thing would be to have the engine/tranny scanned with a high-quality scan tool (SNAP ON) for example. I think most if not all of these trucks shift into 2nd at about 10 mph. so, 2nd might be smoked if he pushed a lot of snow with it. jerking? doesn't sound like a tranny issue though really. perhaps a fuel delivery problem, injector, loose electrical harness under the left valve cover? etc. Have you changed the oil? fuel filter? tranny drain and filter service? so, scan the 'puter, and service the rig. oh, and make certain you use high-quality fuel too. (get your fuel from a station that sells/turns over a lot of diesel) Report back too. good luck.

Last edited by redwoody; 05-03-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 AM

WELL MY ARGUEMENT TO THE LOW MILAGE STATEMENT IS WHAT WAS THE TRUCK USED FOR HEAVY HAULING AROUND A FARM AND SNOW PLOWING BECAUSE IF IT WAS YOU MAY NEED A TRANNY BUT IF IT WAS JUST USED ALITTLE FOR PLOWING IT MAY JUST BE A LOW FLUID ISSUE OR EVEN A VALVE BODY PROBLEM
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 AM
shaking things up

what he said do all that and 2nd/reverse are used hard on a plow truck
Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys, thanks for the responses, really appreciate it.. The truck was used for small residential plowing and he said he did his fire house.. Its from a very small town in CT and owned by an old man like i said.. I drove the truck today and it ran great.. All the gears shifted nice and firm.. As far as the fluids, the oil is due at 53,000 miles and the trans oil is as clean as a whistle with no burnt smell at all. I'll keep you guys posted, im praying if there is a problem that its only reverse because that takes a beating plowing.. thanks again guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.