Trannie problems??? maybe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 06:25 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trannie problems??? maybe

Okay, I posted in the 911 the yesterday but now I guess I need some general help with this. I driving down the Highway when all of the sudden my overdrive started slipping. I pull over checked my fluid and it was okay. I went to back up and reverse wouldn't work. It engaged but only went about a foot before binding up sort of and stopped. I babied it home and looked all around and seen nothing visible wrong. I get in it the next morning and nothing is wrong everything work fine OD and reverse. I have driven 100 miles and it hasn't acted up again. I took it to two shops and one said it was the torc convertor and the other said it could be my ECM. I have a 99.5 f250 auto 4x4. I don't know how to tell what model the trannie is. Can anyone help me here? Has anyone had this happen to them? How can I tell what model my trannie is? It has a bd power 80hp chip 4 in turbo back no cat magnaflow muff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 AM

Okay, i went out and got under my truck and this is the numbers I found.

7J XC3P-LA
PRB-A4
BD-9D22

Can anyone tell me for sure what I have here? google and came back with 4R100 but want to make sure. I see that most of you out there post this in your signature. Is a good trans or not? Is this a Factory, reman or after market trans?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

All diesels from '98 to '03 were 4r100.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipz2222 View Post
All diesels from '98 to '03 were 4r100.
Thanks for your help.

Well is has happen to me twice more now. Every time OD starts slipping my reverse won't work either. I can turn the truck off and let it set for awhile and then everything works again. This is driving me crazy!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:13 AM

The tranny is only slipping when it is hot, and the weak spots on the 4R100 are OD and Reverse. So id say your tranny is on its way out. Just my .02, dont know much more info though.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenstroke View Post
The tranny is only slipping when it is hot, and the weak spots on the 4R100 are OD and Reverse. So id say your tranny is on its way out. Just my .02, dont know much more info though.
Well, I am not sure how hot it has to be before you should start seeing this but Friday on my way home from work it started this for its second time and I was only driving it for about 15 minutes. I wasn't pulling anything. Saturday I was coming home from the country and it started right after I left my property only after about 10 minutes of driving. Again I wasn't pulling anything. I can't see it getting that hot in that amount of time. Plus after I got home and a short 10 minute shut off time I jumped in it and drove up the road and it wasn't doing anymore? I am sure it was still hot after driving it an hour home from the country. I am just trying to make sure it is the trannie after two different diagnoses from two different tech’s and it being a 2400 trany from the dealer. I just don't want to spend that if the trany and really the problem.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:28 AM

Have you checked the fluid to see if it looks burnt/ brown?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Have you checked the fluid to see if it looks burnt/ brown?
Yes, good and pink and no smell. I have had to a transmission shop and they said it wasn't the transmission from what he could tell. He pulled the codes and no trans codes, only ecm, waste gate, exhaust pressure codes. I figure from the chip and the 4in back exhaust pipe no cat causing this?? but I told him the other Diesel tech said the torc convertor and he said no it wouldn’t do it in High gear if it was the TC he said it would slip in low gear if it was the TC, heck I don't know what to think.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:00 AM

Its not the exhaust, dont know what to tell you though. The chip isnt helping anything, but its not "making" it slip. Its just helping it along.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Its not the exhaust, dont know what to tell you though. The chip isnt helping anything, but its not "making" it slip. Its just helping it along.
I meant the chip and the exhaust was causing the codes in the ECM. I didn't mean they were causing the slip. I am just unsure if the ECM is causing this since it does control the transmission. Except for one thing, the Trans guy said ECM doesn't control the reverse but it defiantly has the reverse problem when the OD slips. When OD slip goes away so does the reverse issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.