4R100 shift flare - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4R100 shift flare

The truck had the shift flare occasionally since i bought it, 3 months later my tranny went up. i had it rebuilt, upgraded most of it, didnt replace the valve body but did get a shift kit. After getting the truck back, it still had the shift flare. Took it to a trans shop and they replaced the solenoid pack and reflashed the pcm. After that, the shift flare wasnt as bad but still there for about 3 weeks and now its real bad.

The only fix i can find when searching is the new solenoid pack and reflash. what else should i replace or look at? Its driving me nuts.

eary 99 7.3
213,000 miles
rebuilt trans
new solenoid pack and reflash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok something new happen today, i was on the highway for about an hour. Got off at my exit and came to a stop. When i tried to go, rpms went up slowly and truck hardly moved. Almost like i was trying to go from a dead stop in 3rd gear. i hurried up and put in 1st and it accelerated fine.

Since this has happened, it hasn't gone away. Still have the shift flare and i have to manually put it in 1st if i come to a dead stop. After driving an hour back home i got a flashing OD light. still no check engine light though.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Oboy..nother local rebuild failer..
Old 04-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is this the kind of intelligent answers you get on this forum? That was quick assumption. If this is true, how about you explain to me what the builder did wrong?

The problem im having, was before i even pulled the tranny to get rebuilt.

The new problem im having was 1000 miles after i had aamco put the revised solenoid pack in and reflash. (which is fords fix to the shift flare on there TSB)

Last edited by SideSwipe; 04-05-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

But any way i took it back to aamco today to check the codes, it had a few. All tranny codes (a couple Solenoid ones). Didnt get a chance to write them down but im going to drop it off tomorrow to see what the problem is.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is a shift flare? I'm having tranny issues and nobody can seem to help me.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideSwipe View Post
Is this the kind of intelligent answers you get on this forum? That was quick assumption. If this is true, how about you explain to me what the builder did wrong?

The problem im having, was before i even pulled the tranny to get rebuilt.

The new problem im having was 1000 miles after i had aamco put the revised solenoid pack in and reflash. (which is fords fix to the shift flare on there TSB)
I know you are ticked, I was too the first two times, the third time i just laughed. unfortunately these trannies are hydraulic, the solenoid pack controls sequence and shift timing to a certain degree. the other guy was probably right, somewhere your rebuild went wrong. if you are not getting any movement when placed in drive then your tranny is suffering from internal part failure. the solenoids are almost never the problem. did they replace torque converter?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

With the failure to down shift to first you certainly have some sort of failure. The flare could have been a symptom or the cause. How much of a flare are you talking about? 100-200 rpms like the torque converter unlocking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.