Tranny problems, maybe from Edge tuner? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny problems, maybe from Edge tuner?

Ok well I was on my way out of town on thursday, when my truck started not to shift right, again. It first started a week ago when the truck wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear. I pulled over to check the fluid and it looks good and red, doesnt smell burnt. I got back in the truck and put it in reverse and it did go into gear. I gave it some throttle and it slammed in, but when I let off, it came back out of reverse.

I had a Edge Juice with Attitude programmer on it. I took all of it out, and found an area of the main plug where it had worn through, and may have been arcing with some metal on the truck. After I pulled it off I drove around the block and it drove fine.

Now when I left on thursday, the problems came back. I dont have the tuner in it anymore. It is having the same problems in reverse, and when in drive it feels like it has ALOT of friction in the tranny. Almost feels like im driving with the parking brake on really tight. If I stop and put it in neutral for a minute and then back into drive, it will drive fine for about 20 seconds and then the problems come back.

Could the wire from the Edge tuner possibly have messed something up? Or is my tranny done for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok so just went around the block. It seems to be a problem with overdrive. I was driving around the neighborhood and everything was fine. However when I got out onto a long enough road to get into overdrive, after I slow down and come to a stop, its like its stuck in OD. Now if I stop and put it in park, then when I go back in Drive, everything is fine. So if I go slow enough to not let into OD it will drive fine, but into OD and its messed up. Now with it messed up, if I put it into 1st it will downshift, but still not accelerate right. Feels almost like its stuck in 2nd or 3rd. If I put it in 2nd, it does nothing.

Also it seems that if I push the OD off button, not all the time, but sometimes the problems immediately occur. Any ideas?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Take the edge off..try it without.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:09 AM

It could be any number of things. I would get it to trans shop and have them do a scann. But if you are a parts replacer i would start with the cylenoid pack.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 PM

Pull the pan and you'll probably find some black crud on the magnet. It's real fine metal. Shift valves are sticking.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Take the edge off..try it without.
Did that along time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyd View Post
It could be any number of things. I would get it to trans shop and have them do a scann. But if you are a parts replacer i would start with the cylenoid pack.
I usually am a parts replacer, but transmissions, especially newer electronic ones scare the **** outta me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipz2222 View Post
Pull the pan and you'll probably find some black crud on the magnet. It's real fine metal. Shift valves are sticking.
Yeah I was thinking stuck valves too. The problem is that if it is stuck in gear, thats not the only problem. I can be driving and all of a sudden you can feel that transmission get ALOT of friction. Even if im at overdrive speeds of lets say 55, the friction is so bad that i have to have my foot 3/4 in the throttle to hold that speed.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyd View Post
Well I bought a used solenoid pack and installed it. Now my problems are completely different. When I put it in drive it delays for 8-10 seconds before fully engadging, and then slowly slips in. Then it will drive fine. When its cold though, and I come to a stop light, it will come out of gear. Then if I just give it alittle throttle it will slowly slip back into gear. It drove fine other then that.

Ok so I stopped and let the truck idle for about 20 minutes (let the batteries charge a bit after sitting) I got back in and the OD light was flashing and the trans was shifting really hard. I turned the truck off and it went away.

Is this possibly a cause from the solenoid being used, or just a problem that was always there?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 PM

This will sound realy crazy. But it could be the altanator.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-...-out-gear.html

Read this tread.

Last edited by szyd; 05-03-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.Hutch View Post
Well I bought a used solenoid pack and installed it. Now my problems are completely different. When I put it in drive it delays for 8-10 seconds before fully engadging, and then slowly slips in. Then it will drive fine. When its cold though, and I come to a stop light, it will come out of gear. Then if I just give it alittle throttle it will slowly slip back into gear. It drove fine other then that.

Ok so I stopped and let the truck idle for about 20 minutes (let the batteries charge a bit after sitting) I got back in and the OD light was flashing and the trans was shifting really hard. I turned the truck off and it went away.

Is this possibly a cause from the solenoid being used, or just a problem that was always there?
When the OD light flashes that means the Torque Convertor thru a slip code and went into failsafe (high line pressure) thats why it shifts hard. If I were you id find a tranny guy and have them scan the transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.