4R100 help after installation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 4R100 help after installation

Ok here's the deal. I burned up the transmission in my 02 F250, my buddy had a 01 f250 that had a bad motor (or so he thought, just smoked at start up) but anyways i bought his tranny from him to put in mine. I drove his truck to make sure his tranny was good. shifted perfect with no leaks. I put it in mine and a day later it has the worst leak I have ever seen. Figured out the guy with me added WAY to much fluid to the already full transmission, 8 quarts to be exact. I drove it about 100 miles that way with no problems until i noticed the leak. Drained the fluid and put the right amount but still leaks. Leak is coming from the piece that covers the flywheel/TC. Any ideas what happened? Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002stroker View Post
Ok here's the deal. I burned up the transmission in my 02 F250, my buddy had a 01 f250 that had a bad motor (or so he thought, just smoked at start up) but anyways i bought his tranny from him to put in mine. I drove his truck to make sure his tranny was good. shifted perfect with no leaks. I put it in mine and a day later it has the worst leak I have ever seen. Figured out the guy with me added WAY to much fluid to the already full transmission, 8 quarts to be exact. I drove it about 100 miles that way with no problems until i noticed the leak. Drained the fluid and put the right amount but still leaks. Leak is coming from the piece that covers the flywheel/TC. Any ideas what happened? Thanks for the help
if it is coming from the dust shield it is the torque converter or the pump seal. how it happened i couldn't tell you. but if your tc is working properly and your pump seal is ok the that area stays dry. everything on the other side of that pump is wet, the seal keeps it out. maybe high oil pressure blew out that seal, it cost about $8.00 but requires dropping trans.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Black&Gold Send a message via Skype™ to Black&Gold
are you sure you the TC was properly seated when you installed?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 PM

thanks man. ya truck is shifting and drivin fine so i guess the TC is good and must be the pump seal. when i drop the tranny where is the seal exactly? thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 07:51 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
It is common to blow out the front seal on the trans. I had it happened to me when my truck was stock had 5,000 miles on the truck and I bought it new.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002stroker View Post
thanks man. ya truck is shifting and drivin fine so i guess the TC is good and must be the pump seal. when i drop the tranny where is the seal exactly? thanks
when you pull the tc off it is the first seal you see, it is the seal that the shaft of the tc slides into. it will have spiral indentions all around the front which is seated into the pump. take a screwdriver and pry the old one out then carefully seat the new one. ideally you would press in with something that fits the seal lip perfectly. don't worry this seal will allow for a little error just make sure it seats flat against pump housing. also try not to touch shaft with press. you'll know what im talking about when you get in there. really the hardest part of what you have to do is pulling the trans. your going to pay more in the loss of skin and busted knuckles than money on this one!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys that helped out. ended just leaked from the extra fluid. drained put right amount in and it was fixed 2 days later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.