Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Solenoid problems?

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ipz2222 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking I may need to replace my torque converter solenoid. Been having some intermittant issues and did some research here and the symptoms point to this.
I have a hard shift sometimes into OD and sometimes it seems to hang on quite a while before shifting. Today I drove about 3 miles at 65 mph, around 2100 rpms with out shifting into OD. then, before it shifted the RPMs bounced up 200 or so a couple of times then it shifted. I scanned for codes and nothing showed but...

I can't find a write up for this process, can anyone help me out? Can I reuse the tranny fluid I'll have to drain? It's new fluid, had it changed out 300 miles or so back. Hate to replace it at the cost....

Thanks!

#3 ·
I would think your TC selenoid has nothing to do with it not shifting into OD, but I could be wrong.....as far as the fluid, if you can drain it and keep it meticulously clean, I don't see why not

#4 ·
i would start by dropping pan, check magnet in pan. if you find sharp frags you have the need for a new trans. If no frags just sludge start with the cheap things, a new solenoid(pwm) if its a diesel will cost around $210. you have to decide if the new pack will clog with a trans that going down hill. if you think it is not falling apart then install new pack and test. i would carefully diagnose the fluid and the magnet before installing new pack. also some times the computer detects problems and will set failsafes which will get you home but shouldn't be driven daily. honeslty there is alot of things this could be more than likely it will get much worse and the prob will be obvious. if you know some trans mechs you should spend alittle and get their advise. it sucks but sometimes these things are money pits.

#5 ·
Just had the fluid changed 3000 miles ago or so and the shop said the pan was fine, no more crud than normal.
At what speed should it shift into OD? Ususlly I get a shift around 45-50 if I'm not accelerating too hard, but sometimes it hangs on until 55-60 before shifting.

#6 ·
Heavier loads mean later shifting. Lack of eng power, later shifting. Solenoid problems are a verrrrrryyy rare thing. I'd be looking somewhere else first. You need a scanner that can read the data to see if the computer is commanding the shift at the proper time.

#9 ·
The solenoids are on the bottom of the list for any complaints. They are hardly ever the problem. All the solenoids are together in a block. If any one is bad the whole block must be replaced.
Shifting into lockup or shifting into od. Very hard to tell which one is happening.
This is the easiest way and you don't have to have a scanner. Cancel od. In your mind say "first gear" , press the throttle about 1/4 down, as soon as it shifts say, 2nd, as soon as it shifts, say 3rd, as soon as it shifts say 4th. When you reach 55 to 60 mph, cancel od. You should feel one more shift. That will be OD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.